We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental via craigslist

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
car rental via craigslist

Hi All,

I'm new to tripadvisor and I want to first say thank you all your postings about traveling to Hawaii.

Now, I'm hoping you can help me with this. I was searching for a vacation home on craigslist, but saw a listing for car rentals $20/day. I don't have to make an payment until I see them on the day of arrival. How legit do you think this is? The person said the cars are around the year 2000 and are either Camry, Mazda 626, or Honda Accord. They are automatic and with A/C.

Thanks for your help!

California
Level Contributor
35,222 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental via craigslist

I'm a big CL user but I wouldn't do it for a car. It might be someone trying to rent their car and what about insurance etc. You can go with a ligit company and pay $20/day so why bother with a fly by night operation? Besides a car that is 12 years old (on Kauai) is probably pretty beat up.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental via craigslist

A private party CL car rental on Kauai can indeed be a very unpleasant experience.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental via craigslist

I did ask about insurance but they said it was included in the price. They also said that you just have to fill the gas back to where it was when you got it. It does seem slightly sketchy.

I just havent found a car rental near $20/day, even for a compact or economy car. But I don't want to be stuck with a junker/clunker.

thanks for the advice! :)

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental via craigslist

Thanks. Are there any local businesses to rent cars from? Should I just stick with the main car rental companies?

California
Level Contributor
35,222 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental via craigslist

I would stick to major companies. I am paying close to $20 a day so it's out there. Look at the threads on rental cars.

California
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental via craigslist

www.yelp.com/biz/kauai-rent-a-car-lihue

www.kauairentacar.com

My daughter is going with Kauai Rent A Car this summer. It'll be the first time so hope it works out. We heard about it through KauaiHiker here on the forum.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental via craigslist

I wouldn't take their word that insurance is included in the price. If they're renting out their car that is considerd a business venture and I would think their own personal insurance would not cover that. It's different than if you were a friend and they let you use their car for a few days. Could you count on them to promptly pick you up at the airport and drop you off when you depart? I'd be nervous about that.

Have you even tried Discount Hawaii Car Rental? Many of us here us them.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Edited: 2:45 pm, April 16, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental via craigslist

Craigslist is the prime example of caveat emptor. Very risk IMO.

There was a great post re a car rental from Kauai Scooter and cars rental (IIRC). The renter called them Kauai Pooper. Supposedly they rented the car and didn't check it carefully and found dog feces in the rear seat. Lovely....

Who knows if any of it is true.

Craigslist is great for cash and carry. Not sure I'd trust vendors there for much else without a lot of additional vetting.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental via craigslist

how long are you staying? Maybe I'm able to help by referring you to a friend who works for enterprise.

Edited: 5:05 pm, October 27, 2012
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental via craigslist

I'm a resident here and I would recommend what your looking into as a cheap vehicle goes.

Most of the cars are reliable.