We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

We are returning to Kauai this summer and really want to bring our walking sticks. We are in 1st class. Does anyone know if we can bring them on board? I called the airline but really didn't get a clear response. Thanks for any help!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

" I called the airline but really didn't get a clear response." Exactly what does that mean? Did they say "I don't know"? Or did they give a response but you didn't like it? How did you word your question to the airline and what airline was it? I have taken my hand made cain from Mexico on both Alaska and Hawaiian with no problems. It does go through the x-ray. It might depend on your walking sticks that security need to actually see first. Good Luck. Chuck...

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,739 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

Aloha,

I guess, as long as it is not a sword cane or a shooting gun cane it should be a go !

Have a great time in the Islands,

Aloha

Skidmore, Texas...
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed)... from TSA website

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,653 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

kc, your talking about walking sticks for hiking, right? I'd say if they're not the telescoping kind, the length may prohibit them from being a carry-on, but probably not a problem as checked baggage. Call the airlines again.

Ron - walking canes would be a medical need - TSA will definitely allow them.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 10:13 pm, April 07, 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

Yes, 3chis, I always carry my walking canes and they certainly are never a problem. They are also obviously for support purposes.

I agree that the OP needs to inquire again about the potential need to put walking sticks (hiking?) into checked luggage. I would personally hate to find out at check-in that it may cost serious money to transport them.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

Blackberr4dan: No. I would rather have someone say "absolutely no" but really the response given was essentially "we're not sure; they may have to be checked in as baggage; not sure if they would have to be packaged, etc." I am fine with a clear answer; that's why I asked the question. It's just that I wasn't given a clear yes or no to my question.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

You need to check with TSA....

Who is responsible for determining what is allowed on the plane (not the airlines job).

Walking sticks are not specifically listed as forbidden on web site, but similar items are, like hockey sticks and ski poles.

Give them a call or email, but realize it is in the hands of the screeners that day to some extent.

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

I would assume it might work how my crutches I have to bring would. I can bring my crutches but I think they have to be stowed where the strollers and stuff are when you first get on the plane.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

i think first class should store that for free if not let you take it aboard, you would get the right answer if you posted this on the air travel forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you bring wood walking sticks on airlines?

I bought a walking stick carved by a local carver in Kapaa town last summer. I packaged it in a long box and sent it to myself via the mail. I spent a good amount on it and did not want to have it confiscated at a TSA checkpoint. I have been given specific answers about what will "pass" and what will not, only to find the opposite enforced at the TSA checkpoint. The final interpretation is up to the vagaries of the particular agent who draws your number it would seem.