We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Canyon

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea Canyon

Has the flooding affected Waimea Canyon Kalelau Valley lookout & KoKee State Park?

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea Canyon

The reason I asked this question is because we booked a car rental and wonder if we should go with a SUV instead? It would nice to know if the heavy rains has caused problems with the roads in the east, south & west parts of Kauia. Thanks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea Canyon

toolies...have driven a standard/midsize rental up to Waimea multiple times over the years without any difficulty and now use my own minivan on the island, again, without a problem. Hope this helps...cannot account for the current minute-by-minute changes in weather.

Referencing your Kalaheo question, I can only say there are no official Kalaheo sites such as a Chamber of Commerce or visitors bureau. County of Kauai would have information for Kalaheo...see kauaigov.org and sift through their agencies and lists. You can get some information from the various commercial sites, e.g., rental and attractions/activities, etc.

Think of Kalaheo as more residential with many single rental cottages and B&B type accommodations. It is more or less a bedroom community to Lihue.

I know this all seems rather vague and I hope someone else comes along with solid information. Just wanted to get back to you as you have been patiently waiting a couple days for responses.

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea Canyon

Given the elevation and location of Waimea Canyon, Koke'e State park, etc I'd say you'd be fine in a regular car.

Now I wouldn't advise hiking Pihea Trail or into Alakai Swamp, it's probably pretty nasty in there right now, but the Kalalau Lookout, even up to Pu'u o Kila lookout (the better one of the two) for Kalalau valley is fine.

Waimea Canyon should also be fine, especially at the main lookout.

The only places I'd really avoid in West Kauai were those dirt roads for hunters on the left of Highway 550 heading north up into the parks. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone ever actually, but especially not in a regular car after all the rains lately.

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimea Canyon

Thank you both for the info!

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimea Canyon

Sorry for all the questions not sure all the things I have read are true? We are flying into Lihue and have read the roads are closed there??

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimea Canyon

Regarding our highway, there was a section on the North Shore (near Kilauea) that was washed away. The highway between milemarkers 21 and 22 was closed for several days. They have now opened one lane so it's possible to travel. According to the news last night, it may take a few months before the highway can be fully repaired.

Aloha,

Rob in Kalaheo

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimea Canyon

Yes, I was aware of that. I read on another forum that a guy's daughter who lives in Lihue said the police closed roads in her neighborhood. Not sure if I read it at this forum that a mud slide closed the road to Port Allen?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimea Canyon

Aloha toolies...here is the site to keep really up-to-date on road conditions, closures,etc.

http://www.kauai.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=346

Hope it will clear up for you.

"LP" years ago!

UP
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waimea Canyon

Thanks. Where in the LP? My husband is from the LP :-)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waimea Canyon

Born in Monroe, lived in Temperance (but not intemperately!).