We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalalau beach

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kalalau beach

Hello. I would like to spend one night at the Kalalau beach, but honestly, I don't feel like walking the 11 mile trail, so does anyone know if I can arrange a boat there that would pick me up the next day?

If so, what is the cost?

Thank you for your help.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalalau beach

There may be a boat with the Swedish Bikini Team, and they usually have the best refreshments on board.

Now seriously, are you joking?

Edited: 11:57 am, January 24, 2012
California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalalau beach

I didn't think you camp on the beach. Maybe this site can answer your question.

kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/kalalau_hike.…

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalalau beach

Milwkid, I don't know why you would think the OP is joking - this question does get asked occasionally (hell, I wouldn't want to hike the whole 11 miles, either).

I don't know if there are companies regularly drop people off, but start at the state parks website:

Here's the specific link for camping along the trail:

hawaiistateparks.org/parks/kauai/napali.cfm

Click on the Boating Na Pali link to see a list of boating companies that have permits to land - perhaps they would do a private charter:

hawaiistateparks.org/parks/kauai/napali_boat…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalalau beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It is 11 miles to get to Kalalau Beach - so if you are talking about going there and having someone pick you up and bring you back.....

You'll still have to hike 11 miles to get there - difficult trail - especially past Hanakoa, and you will need a permit from the State to camp there, even for one night.

There has been mention here before about companies, individuals who will pick you up from Kalalau Beach and bring you out - but I don't know if any of them are still doing that personally.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalalau beach

You can camp on the Kalaau Beach. We saw campers and their tents and also talked to hikers, and campers, who accomplished this feat to this beach, and I say that reverently. It is difficult, strenuous , and IMO, dangerous unless in good physical shape. Eleven miles in and eleven out. jebett, this isn't Hanakapae Beach the OP is talking about. No camping is permitted there, but that is only what we read on the signage.

And blueflamingo, I wouldn't hike it either. I also can't imagine a boat company traveling the coast to land there and retrieve campers and do it safely and at a profit. But I will gladly be corrected if proven wrong. Ten lashes for me! And I apologize to LosAngelosAnd, I was wrong for misinterpreting their inquiry.

Edited: 1:28 pm, January 24, 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalalau beach

Even if there was an unautthorized boat, or raft, the OP did not happen to mention the time of year that they were planning on camping at the Kalalau Valley.

Many of the months during the year, beach landings there would be dangerous due to rough surf .

Personally, I like the idea of the bikini clad sweet hearts, free drinks, and calm seas.

I would pass on the pakalolo tent living homesteaders in the Kalalau Valley who deposit huge tall piles of trash throughout the area.

And how do I know that ? Because I have law enforcement friends with the DLNR who fly in with helos, and clean the place up, as the permanent reisidents run off to hide in the jungle. The DLNR personnel have to haul the garbage out of there.

Nice, huh ? Happy camping.

Denny

Denny

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalalau beach

milwkid9090's first answer is still the best. People hear about the difficult hike to a beautiful beach, and ask how to get to that place without all the effort. The answer is, it takes more effort to find a boat to take you there than it does to hike.

jebett, the designated campsites are right behind Kalalau beach. There are few coveted spots between the trail and the beach, but most are under the trees inland of the trail, but only about 50 feet from the sand. But because there is no legal camping in Kalalau valley, people usually say they camped "at" Kalalau beach to make the distinction.

If you follow blueflamingo's boating link, you'll find that no tour boats are allowed to land at Kalalau beach, only kayaks. Tour boats do stop at Nualolo Kai on the Na Pali coast.

Sometimes you find a tour operator willing to let you off in the water with your equipment in a dry bag. I think they do it on their regular tour, so the boat is full alreayd. I have no idea what they charge. And they probably only do this in the summer, when the surf and currents are safe to swim ashore. I suppose they woud pick you up as well, but you'd have to talk to them. And as koloagirl says, you still need a camping permit.

Denny, with all due respect, "law enforcement friends with the DLNR" are not exactly objective observers. Yes, there are illegal campers there, some of them do leave trash. But there are also local hunters (and I have seen them leave trash in Waimea Canyon) as well as people who come in on private boats with tons of gear, and I bet some of them leave trash too (and not all of them have permits either). But Kalalau valley and beach are not trashed, though far from totally remote and pristine. You can see some effects from from high usage (I won't say overuse because permits are already limited), but it is still very nice there.

California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalalau beach

Thanks Hiker. I knew you could camp close to the beach but I didn't think on the beach. You are always a wealth of hiking info. Thanks so much.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalalau beach

If you google Ben Stiller on David Letterman you can see a clip of him on Dave telling about a company that took him by boat to the end of the trail and then hiking the 11 miles to Ke'e. I don't if that service is available for everyone, but I remember thinking what an "easy" way to hike the whole trail without going round trip. Ben Stiller did make fun of himself for taking the easy route.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalalau beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, if you are Ben Stiller, I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to find someone to pick you up out there!

I have a good friend who camps at Kalalau every Christmastime for many, many years. There are people who dump their opala (rubbish) back there and don't take it out - but the vast majority of them are not the illegal campers who "live" out there - but as "KauaiHiker" mentions - hunters and other folks who don't take care of the land they supposedly love.

Not supporting camping there illegally at all - but those folks are not the big problem with opala from what I've been told.

Malama Pono,

Janet