We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in December

Chattanooga...
3 posts
Save Topic
Kauai in December

My fiancee and I are going on our honeymoon from December 9th through the 22nd. She has been to Hawaii as a kid, but never Kauai. This is my first trip. We are planning on staying in Maui at the Kaanapali Beach hotel from the 9th through the 16th and staying in Kauai from the 16th to the 22nd. I have done a lot of research on Kauai in December, but we still have not found a place that we are set on staying. We are wanting to stay somewhere nice, but is simple, not a resort, and doesn't break the bank. We love the outdoors and local activities, so we would love to spend less money on a place to stay and more on activities. We would like to snorkel, hike, bike, kayak, go to the markets, etc.

What are the best places to stay in December ? We would normally stay on the North based on what I have read, but we are unsure due to the winter weather patterns. We will have a car of course and do not mind driving to activities. I appreciate the help.

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in December

In December you can be unsure of the entire island's weather pattern, but your best bet is the South side.

You have 6 night stay planned and its right before Xmas, so get on it!

If you want a hotel, I would check out The Sheraton. It is being remodeled right now but will be done by Dec. Since you are staying at Kanaapali Resort, I might mix it up and stay at a condo. Kiahuna Plantation is a perfect location and I like Kuhio Shores (but no pool). The views are romantic and breathtaking. I have read good things about cottages at Poipu Kai:

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/cottages-at-po…

Here are other choices on the South Shore that are open are your dates:

summitpacificinc.com/availability/search.php

The North Shore is indeed gorgeous and part of the reason is there is more rain. It could be for minutes, hours and it could be just overnight. Only the gods can predict that. If you want to stay on the North Shore you can always follow the sun. If you do stay in Poipu take a few trips up North. Even in the rain its gorgeous.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in December

We normally travel to Kauai in December but more during the Winter Holidays. Just know that the high season prices will kick in around the 18th of December so be aware of it.

Yes, your best bet is the South side in December but, since weather is less predictable then the stock market, I would not have a problem with staying in the North.

Where specifically? What is your bank like (the one which you do not want to break)? How much per night do you want to spend?

3. Re: Kauai in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 08, 2012