We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

I am not staying in Kauai during my travel to hawaii and for my day trip to Kauai from Oahu..I am aiming to maximize my experience rather than wasting my time getting on/off planes, renting car etc for a day.

Wondering if there are any helicopter or airplane tours that originate in Oahu for Kauai. I have only come across ones that originate in Kauai.

Or is there a way to combine a helicopter tour with one of the standard day trips (air+bus) to Kauai from Oahu...I have searched everyone..so really appreciate your help here! thanks. (fyi - my trip is nov24-29 in oahu..reservations are already done, so can't change it)

Maui
Level Contributor
71,945 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

Aloha,

None of the commercial helis have long enough range to go between islands.

You can book a package (air+car+heli tour), but it will cost you more than booking the items on your own.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

Thanks! I think that's what I will do....thanks for your quick response!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

why not just do an air tour of Oahu? They have interesting scenery too and you've only got 5 days. Seems an awfully expensive side trip to me vs. seeing similar terrain on Oahu.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,987 posts
1 review
4. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

Agree with Dave820. Oahu's topography is magnificent. You're only got 5 total days. Spend that time getting to know Oahu beyond Waikiki. Oahu has beautiful terrain and beautiful beaches. They'll also fly over mountainous terrain and beaches that are inaccessible. Much of your day will be spent getting on and off planes and helicopters. When you fly over to Kauai look out over Northwestern Oahu and you'll see what I mean.

Edited: 9:49 pm, July 23, 2011
Lihue, HI
2 posts
5. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

Aloha, I am the General Manager for Jack Harter Helicopters on Kauai.

There are helicopter services on Oahu that can bring you to Kauai and then fly you around the island. I would not recommend this for a few reasons, primarily, the cost of the flight to and from Kauai is going to be pretty high and unless you have a full helicopter (6 pax) it probably would not pencil out well financially. (Current airfares may make this more practical than in the past, but you'd have do to some research and do the math.)

Second reason, Safety. A single-engine helicopter flying over 70 miles of open ocean is not something that I would encourage you to do even with emergency (pop-out) floats on the helicopter. We fly our helicopters between the islands but not with paying passengers on them. There are no twin-engine helicopters available that I know about.

Third, The companies that fly on Kauai know the island very well and can give a superior tour to someone that only comes here every once in a while. Not that the pilots for the Oahu companies aren't great pilots, I just wouldn't send a Kauai pilot to Oahu to try to give a quality tour unless they had done it for a while with an a previous employer.

As to the idea of coming to Kauai just for the day and making a helicopter tour part of the experience. It happens every day. It is not for everyone, but most that do it really enjoy the experience. Start your planning early so you can get cheap interisland airfares. Plan on getting an early start and going back late. Leave at least 2 hours of time between the arrival on Kauai and the helicopter tour check in time. (Hawaiian as a great on-time record, but things do happen that can delay your flight. Go! airlines has had some difficulties lately, but hey are a low-cost alternative.)

Finally, Oahu and Kauai are similar in size and there is a lot of green scenery on both islands, but that's about where the similarities end. There are so many locations on Kauai that are spectacular and unique, Waimea Canyon, Na Pali, the entire North Shore, Mt. Waialeale... so by all means, it is worth coming to see the Garden Island for a day!

(10 days would be better of course!)

6. Re: Are there Helicopter tours for Kauai that originate in Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 09, 2012