We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report- I'm finally back!

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report- I'm finally back!

So I'm back in Maine after my "once in a lifetime trip" to Kauai. I knew day one, that I would be returning!!

It was dark when I got there. Followed directions to my lodging (rosewoodkauai). (took a hot shower under the stars ... something someone from Maine can not really imagine is possible...). Woke up early, (still dark) and headed directly toward Kipu Ranch for the ATV adventure. As I was getting there, it got light enough for me to start seeing the unbelievable landscape and cliffs and ... (aaahhh, sensory overload!!...) Got on the ATV and was hypnotized by this beatiful place. Yup, I'm going back.

Hightlights.... quick highlights... will post reviews in pertinent areas for ya'll.

Lodging- Rosewood B&B. I didn't stay in the main house B&B. Just stayed in a room with lofted King size bed. Bed's were sooo comfy I fell asleep within 2 minutes every night!!! They also have, the B&B, a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom cottage.

Tours- Kipu Ranch ATV tour. (see above)

- Hindu Monestary. Great. Tour guide surprisingly funny. Down side, they only do it once a week and there were like 50 people, some of whom were typically disrespectful and talking about other random subjects and taking the tour just for the sake of taking another tour. The ride there was WILD! Not far from Kapa'a town, but inland. Beautiful!!

Food

Take my food reports with grain of salt.. not conniseur. I didn't really want to waste what little time I had there planning to eat. SO I just hang out a bar and chat up who ever is there and order some food.

The Shack- was there a couple times. Typical bar food. Good beard.

Pizzetta'a- definatley the funnest bar. And GREAT Pizza (expensive but, "gourmet"). Bartenders and regulars were fun!

Scotty's- found my "happy place" sitting along the rail, drinking Margerita's watching the whales off shore. I arrived off hours (3pm-ish). So chili was great but not real warm. The fish nuggets were.. well I'm reluctant to say anything bad, cause I'm from Maine where we like to taste our fish (so I know I'm more particular than most) but this was overboard on spices and couldn't eat it. Don't let that stop you from going. It was the best. Find what you like on the menu and stick with it. The atmosphere and drinks did it all. I even bought the sweatshirt!

Opeakka Falls on 581 (i'm likely spelling it wrong I'm sure). THere is a little food trailer. Stopped a couple times. Burritos and wraps- Good! Cold Coconuts- Good! Very convenient for me as it was close to where I was staying. Fun and pleasant along with those hanging out there.

Bike Rental- right from Kauai Cycle (i think that was the name) Across from Taco Bell on the main rd. in Kapa'a. They were fine and very convenient, although they don't open till 9 am so if you don't return your bike by 6p, you have to wait till 9a to return it...

Also spent some time at some beaches (not long, mostly sunrise and after the hike & bikes to take a nap on the SOFT SAND!)

Mostly did my shopping at the Products fair, although much of it wasn't necessarily "Kauai Products"

I'll be back at least 2 more times. Next trips will be to be in the North shore area. And another in the State Park and Canyon. I'll be bringing the tent!! LOVE IT!!! Thank you all for all you help and guidance!!!

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

OK, so the Shack.. was supposed to say "GOOD BEER"... I type bear so much and then got dyslexic....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Sensory overload is an understatement, no doubt about that. And worse is the fact a camera can't capture it all, as you need a print as wide as a football field to show what you were looking at for each photo.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Thanks for the report! Can't wait to get to Kauai!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,880 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Thanks for the report - so glad that it worked out for you - I think Kauai is easy to fall in love with. I know it's not for everyone, which is just fine with me. Let's keep Kauai less touristy! :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Interesting that you also found the chili at Scotty's to be barely warm. If we try it again next trip, and it's the same way, I'll mention it to them. I like their BBQ, though I've not tried the fish nuggets. I'm afraid I'm a purist - ribs and pulled pork.

Do you have contact info for the Monastery? Sounds interesting, particularly after having recently spent some time on Bali, which is mostly Hindu.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

pzp- I pulled up the tour schedule right on line. They only do it once a week, which changes from week to week. I think I just googled them or got it from the hawaii alternative website. It was defenatley worth the 2 hours out of my day. It was very peaceful and made the rest of the trip... all that much beter!

Just googled it, not sure if this is the same website. Doesn't seem to be fully functional now. www.hindu.org/ssc/hawaii/

You may want to try the alternative hawaii site.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Do I need to take my sarong and sash? We carried them with us every day in Bali. You had to have them to enter a temple.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

I brought mine, but they did have some outside for visitors to borrow.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

Did you need the sash or just the sarong?

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report- I'm finally back!

just the sarong. Sorry took so long to get back to you! :)