We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

Thanks so much to all of you who have helped me get this trip in the books. With your help I have the flight booked for first week in November, at the WBV Condo's. I went ahead and bit the extra $90 to upgrade to a premium unit, for the view alone, and got good reviews on staying on 3rd floor. Still a little upset, because 201 looked so amazing on the inside! Tough call, but in the end the Wife always wins.

I have been combing through the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and have a few questions. The book talks alot about the seas being calmer in the "Summer Months"

I am wondering how the late October, first of November timeframe is going to affect activities such as snorkeling, boat cruises, swimming, boogie boarding, etc...

I definitely want to do all of these, but I'm a little worried that the wave's are going to be too rough, based on the book. Any need to worry? I'm ready to start hearing some of the positive's of "early winter" instead of summer.

Lastly, our first day there is going to be "Halloween". Any fun Halloween events on the Island we would be able to participate in?

Thanks,

WH

Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

Hmmm.... Must have been a boring topic.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

aloha, Horns...

Main thing is to check the current ocean conditions. Novemember might produce some larger seas up on the north shore.

South shore should be just fine, with the exception of a full blown storm.

We have found over the years that Poipu is not as good for snorkeling as it once was.

You might head over to the Poipu Area on Lawai Road across from the lawai beach resort.

There you will see a small beach next to the BEACH HOUSE restuarant. We generally put our towels up on the grass near the Beach House, and snorkel out a ways. Pretty good snorkeling, and you might even spot a honu.

I think the drive from the Wailua Bay View will be about 30 to 35 minutes. So, you could make a day of it down in the Poipu-Koloa area.

Spouting horn, and the outdoor vendors: Erica usually gets good deals on quality pearls and opal jewelry by local artists.

Allerton Gardens: Probably the best of the botanical garden tours. Make reservations.

Koloa Town: Quaint shops from the old sugar mill town. Ladies like the Soap and Candle shop, and everyone likes Lapperts Ice Creame parlour. Tom Kats for a quick lunch and Libation....and galleries and other botiques.

Poipu Beach Park: Relax in on the sand, or grass. We kind of sung in behind the hedge over on the right hand side...if the easterly trades are blowing. Not sure about the november wind direction. ( We are there in june-july)

Across the road from Poipu Beach is Brenneckes, open air, upstairs restuarant and lounge. Like to have a cool drink at the bar,and alway wind up visiting with locals or other visitors...fun spot. Great view of the ocean and beach park from the dining area.

Easy Hike: Near the Hyatt and Shipwreck Beach. From the hyatt, facing the ocean, just turn left, and walk along the beach to Makawhehi Point...clamber up the cliff and walk along the dunes and trail over toward Maha ulepu beach. This has become a morning ritual to start our day.

Oh, JOES ON THE GREEN, for breakfast, and on wed and thrs evening, dinner and local entertainment. View of golf course and mountains.

Just a few things, that should keep you happy. Much more if you are interested.

Me ke aloha pumehana

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

Snorkeling at Lawai is the most consistently good that I've found, and there is frequently a turtle or two there.

You can easily do a day trip - out to Spouting Horn in the morning, back to Lawai for snorkeling. Sunset dinner at the Beach House if you've gotten reservations, or sunset on the BH lawn, then a later dinner, or sunset on the BH lawn, then elsewhere for dinner. Since you're down that way, Poipu Beach Broiler is decent, casual and reasonable. (We take clothes to Lawai and change in the luas across the street.)

If you like mango, you must try a Mango Madness at Brennecke's. We've given up on dinner there, as it seems to have gone steadily downhill.

I don't think you're going to run into any major problems with rough water. It's possible the north shore will be rough, but it's still nice swimming at protected beaches like Anini and Ke'e. At worst, you'll end up at south shore beaches.

Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

Thats good to know. I'm hoping the waves will make for some good boogie boarding. I'm also hoping its not too rainy at that time of the year. I've read lots about Tunnels beach, and the great snorkeling. Hopefully we'll catch some calm weather there. I am guessing hiking will be good at any time of the year.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at WBV in November, need advice on a few activities...

I was at WBV last year for Halloween - nothing special happening on Kauai that I heard about. But then again, I wasn't looking for something to do - I was just glad that I didn't have to buy candy to hand out at my door. None of the trick or treaters come to the resort areas.

I remember seeing a sign at The Shack that there was a costume party the weekend before Halloween, but with Halloween coming on a Tuesday, I wouldn't expect too much hoopla on a weeknight. The bank tellers do dress up though! That's about all I know.

The weather is very hard to predict in October/November. Two years ago, the weather during that time was terrible - last year wasn't so bad. Most years October/November are nice - not too hot - just right. Even when the water is calm, the boat tours can't get you quite as close to the cliffs and sea caves as in the summer, but it's still enjoyable. As for waterplay, just pay attention to any high surf advisories on the north or east shores and you'll be fine. You can always head south/west if the water is too rough on the north/east.