We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble deciding

Phoenix
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Having trouble deciding

Hi All....I'm in the beginning stages of planning our first trip to Hawaii, June30-July 7. Myself, Hubby and 16 yr old daughter. We have pretty much decided to stay on Kauai. But I'm not sure where to stay. We want a 2 bedroom condo, for sure. The problem is what part of the Island....East or South? Budget wise..moderate. We want to be close to shopping, a good beach for swimming and snorkeling, oceanfront-- hopefully pretty close too. We like the sounds of Kapaa, it being townish...but Poipu sounds good too.

Another concern is finding the "right" condo. I've read renting direct is the best way..but how? I've checked vrbo.com. Starting to feel overwhelmed :-)

Any suggestions are appreciated..Thanks in advance.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having trouble deciding

East. You're going to want to explore the island and all the beaches, and staying in Kapa'a gives you pretty easy access to everything. The beaches around Kapa'a are not for swimming, but they're great just the same. Take a look at Wailua Bayview and Pono Kai. I've heard good things about both. Be sure you're as far away from the road as you can be.

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having trouble deciding

Jellybeanz,

IMO, from the extensive research I have done on Kauai (I have never been); reading the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, reading these threads, surfing the net, etc., most everything points to the North Shore. Being from Phoenix myself---no rain for 110 days, desert . . . I won't mind a little rain and I definitely won't mind all the green plant life on the North Shore. Additionally, some of the best beaches, if not THE best in the summer, for snorkeling are on the North Shore (Tunnels, Ke'e, Hideaways, etc.). Of course, you will have differences in opinion, but that's my two cents.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having trouble deciding

Aloha!

Look into the Kauai Coast Resort...east side, nice units, great location, decent pool, close to shops and restaurants at the Coconut Marketplace. It's a gem. I would also look at the Poipu Kai resort in Poipu. Not as convenient as far as close to shops and restaurants but still a GOOD property with nice units.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having trouble deciding

My recommendation is South in Poipu. Poipu Sands in Poipu Kai is a great blend of budget-friendly and close-to-ocean condo convenience. Poipu Beach is good for ocean activities, and the east coast is relatively close to try their beaches if you want.

The eastern shore, though it has its coveniences, is just too crowded for my tastes. The highway runs fairly close to the resorts, and there's a fair amount of traffic to deal with. The variety of beaches with calmer waters is higher here, and you'll be closer to shopping (but who does that every day?). In Poipu, you're only 20 minutes or so from Lihue for shopping.

You can do well by exploring vrbo.com; I've had good luck there a number of times. Check on the web for Poipu Kai or Poipu Sands for other options. I've had good luck with greathawaiivacations.com and suite-paradise.com for Poipu Kai condos.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having trouble deciding

Aloha! Well, since we are free to express our opinion, I would suggest as the other poster to stay on the North shore, but I guess it depends on what scenery you are looking for, too. If you are picturing that lush, tropical paradise, head North. I have been in July and it was fabulous! The beaches and water are great - perfect for snorkeling, and it generally rained at night as we were nodding off, if you are concerned about lots of rain. I still found it easy to explore the rest of the island, but we tended to stay north - it was simply the best vacation I have ever had. :)

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Having trouble deciding

I agree with the "votes" for the North Shore. :) I stayed in a condo on Pali Ke Kua in Princeville and it was awesome. You are not too far from some of the most awesome beaches on Kauai. The big winter waves will have left by the time you are there too. As for rain, well like the poster above me, the only time when it rained while I was there in May was at night...just enough to clear the air for another beautiful sunrise view from my lanai. :) Princeville also does have a nice town area with shops, restaurants, and a Foodland (in case you want to cook a bit in your condo).

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having trouble deciding

I wouldn't go anywhere BUT the North Shore. I see you're from Phoenix...the South shore is very barren and dessert-y. Aren't you looking for a change of scenery? When you see the beautiful pictures of Kauai, chances are they are taken on the North Shore.

VRBO is a great site to rent condos from private parties. Check e-bay under vacation rentals also. Hope your time in Kauai is wonderful.