We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

but we did get a couple hours of snorkeling in at Lawai before the storm hit. Lots more snorkel pictures---although I think my d10 is trying to die on me! When the lightening started at about 2pm, everyone in the water got out, but a snorkel tour had just arrived and they went in. In the midwest, when there's lightening, you get out of the water as quickly as possible. Actually, in the 10 trips we've been here, this is the first trip where we've experienced a thunderstorm here---and not just one. We thought if we kicked around the south shores the storm would blow over. So we rode around, I wandered through Moir gardens, went to Na Hoku and helped the economy, went to Keiko's Paradise for Happy Hour (our first time there, but we will be back!), went to Shiprock beach and walked up to the top and around there a bit until it started raining pretty hard again. Emergency vehicles were arriving there as we were leaving. Not sure what happened, but someone was injured and being attended to on the beach. It was about 6 then, so we decided there probably wouldn't be a decent sunset again and headed back to our home on the east side.

Did get plenty of pictures, though. Added some more snorkeling and a few Moir and Shipwreck pictures.

https:/…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

"I was telling my husband my pictures look like we're having a good time, so I have to assume we are."

I'd say you are having a good time. You photos are excellent.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

Beautiful photos, very artistic!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

"Sla" I'm not a flower fella, but the orchids at Moirs were very nice pictures. I also liked the latest fish pictures (and the wild hogs...I've seen some myself in Texas), and the beautiful sunset pic. Thanks!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

Heavy rains, some flooding, hail, lightning and thunder over on Oahu yesterday. But it's sunny now.

And we had an earthquake about 20 minutes ago. 3.3 magnitude, according to the USGS earthquake site. Stuff was rattling on the shelves here. Mother Earth has been very busy.

…usgs.gov/earthquakes/…index.html

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

I always look forward to the sun when we're on island - don't get me wrong - but this morning we woke up to -42 degrees. Is anyone wondering why we are moving to kauai??!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

You got a point there.....come on over....the temp is fine.....

The storm is gone, I was able to soak up some rays, go for a walk, and kick back outside at the Marriot Tiki bar.

Plenty of people at the beach, enjoying the day, and playing volleyball, and swimming in the marriot pool.

Brown water all thru kalapaki bay, and nawiliwili harbor, so most everyone stayed out of the ocean....but still the party light was glowing.

Denny

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

The water was great on the north shore today! At least until a shark swam within 10' of me! More on that later---and a picture.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

"And we had an earthquake about 20 minutes ago. 3.3 magnitude, according to the USGS earthquake site. Stuff was rattling on the shelves here"

Is that unusual for for your area? Wonder if they felt it in the high rises in Waikiki?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

news.gather.com/viewArticle.action…

some felt it but 3.3 isn't very big. You have to be pretty close to get much out of it. Now the 6.5 in 2006 was a different story. We felt that one from 200 miles away.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: and there was lightening and thunderstorms today

I was in Princeville that night, and was scared to death. The loudest sound I've ever heard woke me up- I thought a volcano had erupted. Storm went on from 10:45 to 2:00 AM- would recede into distance only to return with FLASH/BANG right overhead, several times. The only plus was that the roosters weren't crowing in the middle of the night, at least you couldn't hear them if they were. Does this sort of thunderstorm happen often? I may reconsider visiting Kauai in February, if so.