We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

I am renting a car on Maui and Kauai, but dont know if I need a 4x4. I really want to rent a mustang too, so I was thinking renting a mustang on Kauai and a Jeep Wrangler on Maui. I will be doing the road to Hana. Do I need 4x4? Should I switch the two around?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Most rental companies won't let you take their cars off the road so you don't need a 4X4.

You can do the road to Hana in a regular car.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

A 4x4 is more fun...for about the first three hours.

If memory serves me, in the event of a shower, the roof on a Sebring goes up in 12-14 seconds, a Mustang needs about 17 seconds. By the time you get the roof up on a Jeep, the shower is probably gonna be over.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Would a Jeep be useful?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

I have been to both Maui and Kawai, rented a Jeep on Maui and a convertible on Kauai. The Jeep was a pain in the neck and not necessary at all. On either island you need a car with a locking trunk, and the experience of driving in paradise in the convertible was awesome. Have fun!!!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

we rented a jeep both trips and loved it. Once from maui dive shop and once from Thrifty!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Hey chaos,

Don't know if you can accomplish the same on Kauai, but 10 minutes ago, I rented a Wrangler on Maui; 10 days @ 200 bucks less than the convertible I had previously reserved through Budget.

For that kind of savings, I don't mind an occassional drenching!

colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Our family of 3 w/4 large oversized suitcases rented a Jeep Wrangler on Maui 2005 Summer Vac. Needless to say it was tooooooooo small. Our 11 year old, 5'2" daughter had to sit between us in the front until we got to the hotel. We took off the top for the first day and she was wind blown and very sunburned. The top went back on and the drive to Hana was nice. No you do not need a 4x4 to get Hana. Of course we only went to Hana, so I do not know what the road is like after that. The experience was nice in the Jeep, but we are planning on renting a larger vehicle to hold all the luggage.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Im 23 and is there any rental company that does not charge a under 25 fee?

Irvine, CA
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

I've been to bothe islands several times and you really don't need a 4x4 on either island. There are some trails in Kauai that a 4x4 will get you closer to the trail, but according to the rental agreement you're not allowed off the paved roads anyway. It was fun driving around in the jeep, but it's a pain to put the top back on and nearly impossible to get more than 2 pieces of carry-on luggage in.

If you ask for a new car on Monday or Tuesday, they will almost always upgrade the car to a jeep or convertible (Sebring) without charge. (because that's all they have left)

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Convertible or Jeep Wrangler

Getting either a convertable or a jeep is a lot fo fun because you can put the top down. About the only place on Kauai I can think you'd might need a jeep is the road to Polihale beach. I found the jeep to be less expensive than the convertable so I went with the jeep.

Alan