We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Do You Do When It Rains?????

Michigan Center...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What Do You Do When It Rains?????

I have been watching the weather and it looks like you have had a lot of rain - we are arriving next Wednesday for 2 weeks and am now starting to panic! What activities can be done even in the rain? I do hope it will have it out of its system by then but I know I better be prepared for a few days.

Edited: 8:35 am, February 16, 2011
Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

It rains a lot on Kauai, somewhere. A short drive (or short wait) will usually find sunshine. The island is still beautiful when it is wet, more waterfalls. Don't panic, even when it rains it is probably warmer than most of the US right now!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

I was going to say the same thing! Even if it's raining in Hawaii, it STILL beats being at home!

California
Level Contributor
36,659 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

Here's an old thread that Koloagirl put together about rainy day activities. I saved it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k23696…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

Grab a good book and a good drink and head for the lanai. Unless it's a monsoon, get into swimsuit , rash guard, water resistant hat and go for a walk.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Those of us who live here deal with rain a lot - and unless it is indeed a deluge - go about our ordinary lives in the rain.

Obviously if you are visiting here and laying on a beach is a priority - that will affect you - otherwise, you can certainly still see the sights here on rainy or overcast days - they are still beautiful.

If you strictly want indoor type activities - that older thread that "Jebett" put the link to gives you lots of options for days where you'd rather not be outside.

While we've had rainy days the last month - I can't remember any where it rained solid all day - or all over the island - so you can generally always remember to "head west" if you have a rainy day elsewhere - 99% of the time it will be warm and dry out in the Waimea/Kekaha area!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

I always subscribe to the philosophy that says "when it is pouring outside, I pour inside"... works every time....lol

LVSunBum

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

I always subscribe to the philosophy that says "when it is pouring outside, I pour inside"... works every time....lol

LVSunBum

New York, New York
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

Hmmm. let me think :-)

New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

What do you do when it rains in Kauai?

Simple: The same thing you would do if it was not raining!

We were at the botanical gardens, and it "misted" on and off and was actually quite nice!

We were swimming in pool at the Grand Hyatt..and yes, alittle dissappointing that it actually did RAIN all day! But we still swam, sipped pina colada's in the hot tub!

Please do NOT worry about the rain! Unless it is really a tropical storm on the horizon...as it has to rain to keep it so green and tropical!!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Do You Do When It Rains?????

When we did our kayak trip up the Wailua River, w/the trek to Secret Falls, it rained for part of the excursion, it's warm, so not a problem (just wear a ball cap/other hat to keep rain out of your eyes and make sure you have sturdy shoes that you don't mind getting muddy w/that great Hawaiian Red Dirt!).

We'd still do our drive around the island tours even in the rain, as stated above, it's not necessarily raining everywhere.

Enjoy!