We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Pensacola, FL
4 posts
Save Topic
Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

On May 29th-June 2nd. Where is the best place to stay? I wanted to stay in the Grand Hyatt but they're all sold out. I heard The Princeville Resort is awesome, but it's like $600/night. I'll pay that much if I have to, but if I can find something comparable, I'll stay there.

Thanks in advance!

Lionel

Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

$350 sounds like the government rate, but in either case it is an awesome rate. The rooms are as large as a suite, but the junior suites are nice. I would say for must do's:

1. Waimea Canyon (hiking) several trails we did several of them in the guidebook.

2. O'paek'a Falls hiking to the bottom was awesome.

3. Dinner on the beach just for 2 at the Princeville.

4. Snorkeling in the ocean with the dolphins and fish. I highly recommend Holoholo or Capt Sundowner.

5. Smoothies at Banana Joe's they are that good.

6. Buy something from Hawaiian Hardwood they guy is seriously gifted.

What are you interested in?

That would help us determine what you have to do.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

You don't NEED to do anything on your honeymoon except relax on the beach!! You're going to be beat after the wedding!

A lot of people feel that Kauai must-do's are:

A helicopter tour with no doors through Interisland or Jack Harter.

A boat tour of the Na Pali coast with Liko's, Holoholo, Captain Andy's, etc.

A luau. There's one at the Princeville, but Smith's is better.

See Waimea Canyon - the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

There's a bunch of other stuff that you'll find in the "blue bible" that falls somewhere beween must-do and could-do like hiking, kayaking, scuba, snorkeling, shopping, etc, etc.

Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

I whole heartedly agree with kwils the Princeville lua'ua is no comparison to Smith's. Food is decent and drinks are okay, but the show is rather weak. Plus they raised the prices $70.00 plus a person is not my idea of cheap for what you get.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

You are staying in a gorgeous area-North Shore--we stayed in a very nice condo next door to the Princeville, Haneli Bay Resort. I would say the top things to do are to snorkel (its good right there at Princeville Beach), Visit Hideaways Beach--maybe get a kayak and go over there (its close to the Princeville), see and snorkel Tunnels (lots of turtles), Kee Beach, definitely a helicopter tour, if you hike do some of the Kalulau Trail at Kee Beach. As far as dinners go restaurants at Princeville have a great rep (we didn't go), We had a good meal with a great view at Bail Hai at Hanalei Bay resort,and for a casual restaurant , my fav, by far was Zelo's Beachhouse, great food and drinks, cute atmosphere

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Jill

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Does anyone know if the Princeville Resort would be less in May or June?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Our big highlight last year was the biplane ride over the entire island. It was very quiet, saw all the sights, including the Na Pali Coast up close, it was an hour but it flew by (get it, flew by). I thought it was far better than the helicopter tour and perfect for my husband who is terrified of flying. He had a great time!! It only holds two people, and definitely do it at the beginning of your stay so you can see where you want to go.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

$350/nt in the P-ville hotel is a home run. The staff I know up there work pretty hard to make the experience a good one. It's changed hands a couple of times lately and I hope they've started doing a bit more maintenance. Interiors are still stunning but some exterior walkways needed a little work the last time I walked around.

Defn take a helicoter/plane ride. The views are awesome. They cost a tad more out of the P-ville airport, but it's not enough to pay for the gas/time to Lihue. If you are a golfer, the P-ville courses are awesome (at least my hyper golfing friends say so).

I don't care that much for the trail into Kalalau (at least the first leg you can do without camping permits). Much of the time you really don't see much and the beach at the end is pretty dangerous. An easier hike with better views is up the Sleeping Giant in Kapaa. Or walk down to a deserted beach like Larsens. Just don't leave anything of value in the car.

If the weather is clear, a drive up the mountain can be great. But that time of year you may just see clouds at the Kalalau lookout. It's hit or miss.

have fun!

Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

In speaking with the GM they are going to start a 50 million dollar renovation, and add a spa. There was a press release on this recently.