We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Pensacola, FL
4 posts
Save Topic
Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

On May 29th-June 2nd. Where is the best place to stay? I wanted to stay in the Grand Hyatt but they're all sold out. I heard The Princeville Resort is awesome, but it's like $600/night. I'll pay that much if I have to, but if I can find something comparable, I'll stay there.

Thanks in advance!

Lionel

Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

I don't think it will be $600 more like $400 - $585.00 per night. Suites are $800 plus a night. Princeville is very nice, but it is far from much of the spots since it is in the north. I did like it quite a bit. We had suite 1007 at the hotel all the rooms have amazing views. I just posted a review that should post soon. They have a dinner on the beach for 485 for 2 pricey but very very very romantic, and the food is awsome.

Pensacola, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. How far north is it from everything? Should I rent a car?

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Princeville is on the north shore of the island. Yes, you need to rent a car! It's about 30 miles from the airport in Lihue to Princeville. The drive normally takes 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic.

The weather on the north shore should be quite nice around the end of May, so it would be a great place to stay. The Princeville is really the only big resort on the north shore, and it is pricey. You might also look at some other places on the east side, or even check out condos to help your budget go farther. I know, you want to be pampered on your honeymoon! Well, not you so much.....

Pensacola, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Thanks Kwils!

So where on Kauai do you suggest if price is not an option? I tried the Grand Hyatt, but it is all sold out. Thanks in advance.

Lionel

Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Some other items if you join Starwood Preferred Guest, and then login when looking at Starwood properties in Hawaii they often hawaii 35% off and / or 5th night free. Very limited availability need to book in advance. With so few days on Kauai I would think Grand Hyatt might possibly be a better option. Things can change (although I wouldn't hold my breath on the GH). Otherwise like kwils said a condo can go further, and you can spend the savings on a spa treatment; perhaps more sightseeing activities. I enjoyed the Princeville, and it is jaw dropping luxury but you pay for it. The other annoying thing in many ways to me was the 2 MILE DRIVE from the road to the front gate, and the obnoxious $15 valet or self daily park rates. That was just annoying.

The breakfast at the hotel is awesome with the buffet being pricey, but well worth it. The quality, selection, and views were excellent. In Hanalei there is a tiny stand in the Young Ching Center that has good smoothies otherwise backtrack to Banana Joes by the lighthoue in Kilauea it really is quite excellent.

We did our PRE-honeymoon in Kauai, and so did many "romantic" things. The Grand Hyatt was very exotic with better pools, but the views at the GH weren't as good, and the complex there seemed even larger than Princeville. The hotel was full at Princeville at the time, and it didn't seem full at all whereas GH felt crowded several times with "swarms" of kids at times.

But the location was better for us we did a lot of hiking in Waimea Canyon, Koke'e state park, snorkeling from Pt. Allen. So it depends what are you up for? Nature, pampering, or something else?

In a couple of weeks I tried to do as many things in the Ultimate Kauai book which if you haven't gotten you should its indispensable. There is a lot, but its worth it. The only thing I was VERY careful on besides the hikes (some are dangerous) especially Nu'alolo loop (it is very washed out), but well worth it for the views was the helicopter companies.

When we there an operator on Maui had a crash, and there are some companies with less than admirable safety records. Jack does a nice job -- as do some of the non-corporate guys.

Usually, I can't honestly say the Entertainment book was worth it for Kauai other than snorkeling was 25% off (I guess that paid) for the book. Otherwise tons of coupons in the "tourist magazines."

Hope this helps keep asking away (sorry strayed off topic)

Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

https:/…concierge.html

is a link to the Honeymoon Concierge from Starwood perhaps they can help you out as well.

A great budget hotel that is more is the Courtyard by Marriott on Waipouli Beach newly renovated. It isn't bad, and it is in central Kapa'a. We stayed a couple of nights when we first got on the island I somehow thought we'd be exhausted when we got on the island, but that wasn't quite the case.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Yes, you'll need to rent a car. There's no public tranport to speak of, and you're going to want to explore.

Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

And biking is kind of scary unless mountain biking so that isn't really an option.

Phil

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Idacpano,

If price isn't an issue, then I would take a look at the Princeville resort for north shore digs. See if you can find better than the $505-$735 Expedia is showing! Whalers Cove for the south shore.

In between, and less expensive - on the east side, the Courtyard by Marriott isn't bad, the Coast Resort at the Beachboy is great(but looks like not available for your dates), the Marriott in Lihue is nice and has a huge pool. Too bad the Hyatt isn't available as they have the best pool area on the island.

Pensacola, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Kauai for my honeymoon...

Thanks everyone for the awesome and thorough replies. I actually got a corporate rate at The Princeville Resort for $350/night for the Ocean view suite. I've also bought the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook to help us plan our stay. Now all I need to do is rent a car. What is absolute attraction we need to do as honeymooners on Kauai?

Thanks,

Lionel