We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in on Kauai?

Calgary, Alberta
2 posts
Save Topic
What area to stay in on Kauai?

My fiance and I are lanning our Honeymoon for this October and have decided to go to Kauai.

What I can't seem to find any information on is what area is the best to stay in.

We are looking for something fairly quiet and somewhat secluded. Great beach, not too far from nice restaurants and other activities. We're planning on doing a fair bit of scuba and snorkeling while we are there as well, so would prefer if we were in/close to a good area for that.

Any suggestions? We aren't so much worried about hotels at this point as what area to focus on, although we'd welcome those suggestions too! Can you also me what it is about the area you suggest that you love so much.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in on Kauai?

You might want to look at Poipu. It has the best weather and a great beach.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,304 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in on Kauai?

The great thing about this island, is the size. It is small compared to the other islands, and you can get from one side of the island to the other in no time.

On our honeymoon many years ago, we stayed at Islander on the Beach, which has just be remodeled/renovated. It was centrally located to both shores and was right at the Coconut Marketplace.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in on Kauai?

Hi canadianredhead

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find lots of opinions on the Princeville area, Poipu area, and the Kapaa/Lihue area and they all have lots of advantages going for each one. (Haven't heard lots of disadavantages about any of them). We prefer the Poipu area because of the great snorkelling and swimming beaches, the weather, nearby restaurants and old Koloa Town.

You'll hear lots of reasons why Princeville or Hanalei are the places to be too, and that Lihue or Kapaa is more central to the rest of the island, and that is all true.

Doing the research is half the fun!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,636 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in on Kauai?

IMHO, you can pretty much pick anyplace to stay and be able to get to all the activities you want. (Although Waimea and out that way put you pretty far from the North Shore.)

Get Ultimate Kaua'i Revealed and do your research.