We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average Price?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Average Price?

My fiance and I would like to go to Kauai for our honeymoon in October. We've priced out the hotel and air fare which isn't as bad as we expected. Now I'm trying to get a rough estimate on food and activity costs in Kauai. We would like to have dinner at a nice place one or two nights.

It would help if anyone could give me an idea of how much the food and things in Kauai cost. Is it possible to be on a budget?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average Price?

You can spend just abbout as much or as little as you want.

A good dinner anywhere is costly, Kauai is no different . McDonalds has a dollar menu just like the mainland....lots of ground between the two.

Organized activies will set you back and generally, you get what you pay for. You really should at the very least do a Napli cruise or helo tour. Most anything else would be extra and totally up to you. There is lots to do that is either free (going to the beach) or not very expensive.

California
Level Contributor
37,475 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average Price?

I think dining on Kauai is expensive but it's no different than any other vacation destination. The nice thing is there are many places to go that won't break the bank.

If you really want to save money, stay in a condo and that way you can have breakfast in the unit, have snacks and lunch things available and then spend the savings on going to nice places at dinner time. Eating at a hotel will always be more pricey.

If I were going to splurge on a nice dinner I would go to Beach House, Hukilau Lanai or Josselins. If you are on the North Shore splurge on Kauai Grill.

Activities can rock your budget, but if you plan correctly you don't have to break the bank.

For instance if you want to see Kauai from the air, think about a flight in an airplane vs a helicopter. Holo Holo has a nice combo pkg with a snorkel tour and air tour for $189 pp.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Average Price?

Thanks for the advice. I expect to pay a lot of dinner but I'm hoping I can find some local places to eat during the day that won't cost a ton.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average Price?

There are lots of ways to eat more affordably as well. We usually stay in a condo, so that we can have breakfast and pack a lunch for the days activities and then have dinner out so it feels more like a vacation. But you can do that to some extent even when staying at a hotel - stop at a grocery store or market for snack food/drinks, etc. That will really cut down on food costs as opposed to eating every meal at a restaurant.

I think there have been some previous threads of some of the cheaper places to grab a meal, so you might search here on the forum.

Also, if you don't have one, get a good guidebook - I love the Ultimate Kauai Revealed guidebook for their excellent maps and details. Have fun with the rest of your planning. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,475 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average Price?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g29218-Kauai_Haw…

You can get lots of good ideas here.

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average Price?

We stayed at the Marriott Resort in Lihue about 1.5 years ago. There is a Duke's restaurant which has good food at reasonable prices just down the beach from the hotel. One day they had fish tacos on special for less than $10 for about 3 tacos. I would say you could eat a decent meal for average 10-20, however with drinks, dessert (hula pie!) that can run up your bill. If I recall correctly, they do have pricier menu items as well.

Also, just down from Duke's there is a little beach hut called the "kalapaki grill." They serve breakfast and lunch, shaved ice. Really good cheeseburgers and shaved ice. We ate there twice, seemed the locals liked it as well. I would say burgers were $5 or so, but can't recall exactly. Much better experience than normal fast food on the mainland. They put soy sauce, pineapple slices, etc on the burgers.

Have a great trip.

California
Level Contributor
37,475 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average Price?

You might be referring to Kalapaki Beach Hut.

frommers.com/destinations/kauai/D53977.html

I would call Duke's moderately priced. Cheap eats to me is some hole in the wall places in Lihue. More local plate lunch style meals and there are many of those places around.

Here is Duke's menu:

dukeskauai.com/docs/…20012609.pdf

http://www.dukeskauai.com/

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average Price?

You're right, thanks.

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average Price?

Forgot to mention that we ordered from the barefoot bar menu at Duke's, it is significantly cheaper.

10. Re: Average Price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:25 am, February 01, 2011