We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailua vs Poipu in May

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wailua vs Poipu in May

Planning a trip to Kauai in May 2011. Trying to decide between staying on the east side in wailua or poipu in the south. Which town would you choose, and why?

Thanks,

Lacey

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

I would stay in Poipu. The Wailua area on the east side of the island is nice, but I think the south shore is even nicer. The Poipu area is considered the "sunny" side of the island, and on average receives less rain than the east and north shores. You might also want to consider the north shore too though, as it is extremely beautiful and May is a great time of year on the north shore. The north shore is lush, and the scenery absolutely breathtaking. There is more rain on the north shore, but the rain tends to occur late at night and maybe early in the morning.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Same idea as jam...

Poipu has swimmable beaches, snorkeling, beach park after water fun at poipu beach.

Snorkeling is also very good at Lawai beach, which is just a very, very short drive from poipu beach.

Quaint Koloa Town ( soap and candle-big save super market- galleries

botiques- galleries-Pizza-Tomkats.

Poipu Shopping Village

Less traffic snarls....especially if you are stayng at the Bayview and trying to get out of the parking lot in that wailua bridge area.

Allerton Botanical Gardens

Spouting horn, and the neat and lower priced vendors at Spouting Horn

Joes on the Green for a marvelous breakfast

Kalapaki Joes for a very reasonable happy hour

Keiokis sunset dinners ( $ 19.95...) great place/ambiance/food/drinks

Brennecks Beach Broiler across from Poipu Beach Park

Also, very close by activity opportunities:

Kauai ATV

Outfitters ( kayaking-biking-hiking-ziplining )

Horseback Riding

Capt. Andy Sunset 2 hr. Poipu sail

Golf, Tennis, etc.

Resort priced places to dine:.

Beach House, Red Salt, Tide Pools, Casa Blanca,

Donderos

We do go up to the Wailua area once in a while to lydgate to bbq, instead of bbqing here at home and like it....but for visiting, or moving to as a residence, , for us poipu would totally outrank Wailua near the beaches, where visitors would stay.

Again, just our opinion....others certainly have their druthers.

Denny

California
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Are those the only options?

If so, Poipu without a doubt. The only reason I would say Wailua is if you were only staying a few days. Just too much traffic and congestion around that area. Sorry, but it's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it all you East side fans.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Poipu , for all the same reasons given above. The only advantage to the Wailua area is closer driving for a north shore visit. But the immediate surroundings of where I stay are even more important to me.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,578 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Po`ipu. As noted, it will be generally sunnier, and the water will generally be calmer than on the north shore.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
936 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Another vote for Poipu, despite the fact that I'm one of those darn "eastside fans". If you're not planning an active agenda that calls for frequent driving north, west and south then stay where you'll be relaxed and comfortable. The tourist lodgings in the east are not as swanky and the beaches, though beautiful, are not for everyone.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

If you can’t decide, and are a first time visitor to Kauai on a moderate budget, I’d stay central, on the east side.

While the south, west and north shores have their beauty, staying central in Wailua is a good option. Reasons is that lodging is more moderately priced, shopping for groceries and other goods is very convenient, moderately priced restaurants are plentiful, it’s an easy day trip north, south, or towards the interior where there are great hikes. For visitors staying for a short time, staying in a convenient central location for sightseeing would be important to me.

Wailua area: I would caution anyone from trying to turn left onto the highway near Wailua Beach. Turning left at Kintaro’s (Lanikai St.) is much safer because of the turn lane.

If you are a returning visitor who has already seen the sights, staying in the area you liked best makes sense.

If you are a sun worshipper and just want to enjoy the beaches without sightseeing too much, stay south.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

Thanks for the replies.

I did consider staying north, but I was worried because of the rain the north side usually gets. I know it usually rains in the morning or during the night, but I would be the one who would be there when its raining ALL day. Those things always happen to me ;)

I considered the east side,because of the central location it would provide for traveling to the north or south.

And I like the south for the great beaches and sunshine, shopping etc;

I am leaning towards the south, but I may read something on here that changes my mind.

Thanks Again,

Lacey

9. Re: Wailua vs Poipu in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, January 10, 2011