We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
66 helpful votes
North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Hi! I'm sure this will be the first of many questions from me--I am planning to take my parents to Kauai next summer and am insanely excited. I greatly appreciate any help and tips from those of you "in the know"!

I've been scouring the web for vacation rentals on the north shore (preferably in parts of Haena where it's possible to walk to the beach, or at Anini) that sleep 4 for around $2500/week or less. I have a long list of promising candidates, but I'm wondering which rental agencies are trustworthy. Have read good things about Kauai Vacation Rentals and things that sound kind of concerning about Jean & Abbott and Oceanfront. Can't find much about Ahh! Aloha except that they're on the mainland(?), and even less about 800hawaii.com/Aloha Rental Management. Lots of good stuff on vrbo, of course. Can anyone comment on any of these agencies, or suggest strategies for telling which ones are trustworthy?

One more random question--if a rental property is for sale, is that a bad sign--would you avoid even considering it? Or does that happen a lot?

Again, thank you so much for any advice you can offer!

Vicki (Squeakycats)

Artesia, New Mexico
Level Contributor
222 posts
124 reviews
75 helpful votes
1. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

We have had good luck renting in Haena with these two agencies:

http://www.balihai.com/

http://www.napaliprop.com/

They both have a good selection of properties in Haena. You should be able to get a decent house close to the beach in Haena in that price range.

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
58 posts
55 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

I have used http://www.kauaiproperties.com/ 3 years in a row. They are very professional and easy to deal with.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
66 helpful votes
3. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Thank you! I forgot to mention them, but I was wondering about both of those!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
19,405 posts
1 review
4. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

No, I wouldn't consider renting a property that is for sale. There are many on the market because of the downturn in tourism and/or not being considered 'legal' vacation rentals. Outside of the possible phone calls asking you to vacate for a showing you've got other problems. What if the house sells between now then? There's no guarantee the new owner will even uphold your reservation.

There's enough out there to rent right now without those problems.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Thanks, Napaguy--that's what I was afraid of...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
16,013 posts
59 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Parrish Kauai is a very reputable rental agency on Kauai. They have been in business on Kauai for over 25 years (formerly Grantham Resorts). They have properties on the north shore as well and an office in Princeville. The owner and all of the agents on are Kauai and are extremely professional. They are also great with customer service and they have a full time concierge service. Check out their rentals....

http://www.parrishkauai.com/haena-rentals/

We've also used Kauai Vacation Rentals and rented an small ocean front home in Haena. It is about your price range. Nothing fancy but the location was awesome! There are two houses on the same, large lot. We stated in Haena Hale but toured Waiohonu. Of the two, I liked Waiohonu better.

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/275.html

www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/276.html

Edited: 1:06 pm, July 12, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Oooh, if I could afford them, I'd be all over those places. Alas, I am a humble state employee...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
16,013 posts
59 reviews
61 helpful votes
8. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

<<Oooh, if I could afford them, I'd be all over those places. Alas, I am a humble state employee...>>

Squeakycats,

The two I sent you from Kauai Vacation Rentals are only $2150/week; you mentioned that your budget was $2500 (or less) per week. They are both OCEAN FRONT in Haena. Awesome location and the houses are very comfortable. Nothing fancy but we enjoyed our week in Haena Hale. Waiohonu has a larger living area, kitchen and lanai. The houses are both very private and we never saw the folks staying in the house next to us.

Marti

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

We just used Ahh Aloha to rent a unit at Ali'i Kai. (July 4-8). I found them to be very easy to work with. They have pictures of all the units and will be honest with you about what you are getting.

We got ours (Ali'i Kai 2201) for $95 a night. My cousin who owns a week at the Cliffs was jealous since he pays more than that in maintenance fees! The Cliffs are more recently updated, but we found our unit to be comfortable and all we needed.

I can highly recommend Ahh Aloha, based on our one experience. They are based in Texas. But the unit in Kauai has a lockbox with a code to get your key.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
19,405 posts
1 review
10. Re: North shore rental agencies--which are reliable?

Both Kauai Vacation Rentals and Bali Hai are very well reputed and well established and have been operating on the north shore for many years. Both have their actual offices on Kauai. I'd be leery of a rental agency named 800hawaii.com. I can't find anything on them either. The dot com name would make it seem like it's strictly an internet based booker, no actual office on island. I'm always leery of those.