We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fish Tacos

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Best Fish Tacos

We will be in Kauai for 8 days starting this weekend and my husband loves fish tacos. We are staying in the NS area but will be traveling to the other side of the island to explore the canyon and the Poipu area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
41,633 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Best Fish Tacos

You will have tons of options.

Kilauea Fish Market

Red Hot Mamas

Taco truck at Anini Beach

Federicos in the Princeville Shopping Center

Tropical Taco in Hanalei

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Best Fish Tacos

Duke's in Lihue and Keoki's in Poipu.

Duke's has a special price on Tuesdays. It's called Taco Tuesdays:

4:00-6:00

$2.50 FISH TACOS

$3.25 DRAFT BEER, BUD LIGHT/COORS LIGHT

$5.75 MARGARITAS

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
902 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Best Fish Tacos

I used to love to stop at Zelo's in Hanalei after a morning at Ke'e or Tunnels for a lunch of ahi sashimi and fish tacos split with hubby--along with a mai tai. But, alas, they're no longer there.

But I have a related question: I like fish tacos, but I don't like them with fried fish that's been breaded and dropped into a fryer. I like 'em with the fish naked and just grilled--seasoned with lime and other good stuff--then popped into a tortilla with fresh salsa, cilantro, cabbage salad and maybe some cheese. I've been disappointed in the past when ordering fish tacos and basically getting a slab of breaded and fried fish in a tortilla. But that's been mostly on the mainland. I've learned to ask before ordering!

So, in addition to Orchid-lady's fine question about where the best fish tacos are, can anyone comment on the preparation of the tacos?

Oh man, I'm hungry now.....

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Best Fish Tacos

I know that at Keoki's (and probably Duke's), you will need to specify that you want the fish grilled and not breaded. Keoki's started breadnig theirs a few years back and now we just ask.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
307 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best Fish Tacos

Second vote for Kilauea Fish Market!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Best Fish Tacos

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Red Hot Mama's in Wainiha does not bread and fry their fish - rather it is grilled - unless they've changed preparation style since I ate there last.

Their burritos and tacos are full of fresh and local ingredients....great place! And for the price (which isn't cheap, but not ridiculous either) you get a huge burrito - I'm sure the tacos are equally large, although I've only ever eaten the burritos myself.

Malama Pono,

Janet

P.S. - the fish tacos at Keoki's Paradise bar cafe here on the South Shore are noted for being one of the best "deals" price-wise on island - I forget how much they run, but it is pretty inexpensive!

California
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Best Fish Tacos

Pat's Taqueria --a white taco wagon down by Hanalei pier.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
8. Re: Best Fish Tacos

I adore fish tacos and I fell in love with the fish tacos at Fedriko's with chipotle sauce. I asked for the grilled fish. The cost a mere 4.75. The pleasure.....priceless!

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Best Fish Tacos

My hubby LOVED his fish tacos at Kilauea Fish Market.

Michelle

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,663 posts
557 reviews
10. Re: Best Fish Tacos

i vote for tropical taco in hanalei...been eating them since , well, a long time. since it was on the beach...drool