We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Pineapple Home

Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking Pineapple Home

My family is visiting Kauai in May and I would like to take some pineapple home with me, but I don't really care to pay the price at the airport. Does anyone know if there is another way? Many years ago when we were on Oahu we could call Dole and they would put a case on the plane if we gave them our flight info. Is there a business on Kauai that does something similar?

Daisydog

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

You betcha....

very near the airport on the makai ( ocean side ) of Kapule Hwy ( 51). just a bit north of Ahukini Rd. which takes you into the airport.....

There is a small shop, that will be able to help you out....with proper airline packaging, and no worries.

Perfect location, you can look at the map in the UKG page 65 and easily understand how to find it. No other buildings even near the place. Sits all by itself. Cannot remember the name of the place, but it is brightly colored and with the signs out front...you will not have a problem locating it.

Denny

Edited: 7:07 pm, April 27, 2010
Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

Oh, Denny, you are such a peach of a guy, I knew one of you experts would know. That just makes my day! Thank you so much - I think that is the last question on my list for our trip net week! We will be on the island May 5-16! My mouth starts to salivate now at the mere thought of a bite of fresh pineapple.

California
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

It's called Kauai Fruit and Flower on Kuhio Ave.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

Check with them, but last I knew, Kaua`i Fruit and Flower was horrendously expensive. Unfortunately, I think they're the only game in town. You can't just buy pineapples at the market and take them home, they have to be certified by the Ag. Dept. (or some such).

California
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

Pzp:

Do you think they are more expensive than buying pineapples at the airport?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

That I don't know. Either way they're going to be pricey.

California
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

I don't know how much they are at the airport but here are the prices for Kauai Fruit:

•Package of 2 Large Pineapples

“take home” = $18.00

With UPS Shipping = $63.00

•Package of 3 Large Pineapple

“take home” = $27.00

With UPS Shipping = $76.00

•Package of 6 Large Pineapple

“take home” = $50.00,

With UPS Shipping = $119.00

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

I wonder if Mr. Pineapple on Oahu has anything to offer - we do have a few hours to kill in the airport in Honolulu. I will check it out next week. Thank again.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

pzp, unless things have changed, pineapples don't have to be certified. you can buy them at costco and take them home, no problem. (Or any market, presumably -- just find something to pack them up in so they don't get squished)

I have a friend in Maui who's worked for USDA/Hawaii Dept of Ag for years -- he's the one that clued me into that.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Pineapple Home

And i think costco pineapples are $2.99 each.