We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for a descent condo per night

Victoria-British...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
How much for a descent condo per night

I hear and have seen that condos there for rent a more expensive per night than Maui.We have payed between $85-$95 per night for our condos in Kihei(Kihei Kai-Nani) which is just across the road from a nice beach.Just wondered how much to expect for the same kind of unit.Our units have just been very descent 1 bedroom C/W kitchenette and pool.

California
Level Contributor
41,651 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

Maui has "higher end" condos than Kauai in my opinion. You couldn't find a condo in the $800/nt rate for instance but I see those on Maui rental sites.

You can find some rentals close the beach for around $125/nt. Prince Kuhio comes to mind. This is across the street from a small popular snorkeling spot on the South Shore. I see some not so nice rentals in Kapaa and Princeville for around $100/nt so do beware.

Here is a site to check out Prince Kuhio.

www.summitpacificinc.com/prince-kuhio.html

Waikomo Streams also has inexpensive rates because construction is going on close by.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/waikomo-stream…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

Decent condo on Kauai will be a tad more than Maui I suspect. Check VRBO for owners dealing direct.

Kiahuna plantation has 1 br offered at $100-135. On a top beach.

Kaha Lani owner is offering 1br at $125. OK beach (bit rough much of the time)

The east side will likely be the cheapest. Poipu the most in summer. P-ville varies with the season but beach access is limited to poor IMO though great beaches are a 5-10 min drive away. Easy walking to the sand is not great.

Texas
Level Contributor
566 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

How do the beaches at Kihei compare to the beaches in Kauai, as far as swimming and snorkeling? I've only driven past the Kihei beaches and they didn't seem to be that good.

Victoria-British...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
4. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

Thank's for your replies folks.Prices are a bit more I see but not too bad.I have not been to Kauai yet,only looked at pictures.Look's awesome,and I will be there at some point.

SavageRider: I have not been to Kauai to snorkel or swim yet,but I have snorkeled quite a bit at Kamaole II beach across the road from our condo in Kihei.I think it was quite nice and had a wide assortment of fish and saw green sea turtle's daily.It was good for swimming also and I did spend lots of time in the water.It,s hard to drive by beaches and rate them like that.

I have also snorkeled at almost all the most popular safe areas on Maui I always like getting out to check out Kam II almost every day.

California
Level Contributor
41,651 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

The good snorkeling spots are on the North Shore during the summer and on the South Shore during the winter. Slabaume just posted some great underwater photos. Check out her blog.

Isn't the area where you stay, Kihei, pretty concentrated with condos? That is what a friend told me. I've never stayed in that area of Maui so I haven't any idea what you get for $100/nt. On Kauai there aren't as many condos so its supply and demand. Some good deals you see out there right now for April and not summer. So again it depends when you want to visit.

Victoria-British...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
6. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

I think our next trip to the islands will be to Kauai.We love Maui and have been there three times since the mid 70's.It has changed a lot and every time we go we see all the new construction and hotels and condos going up all over.Whole towns have appeared in places that were just open land before.It is sad to see ,but I still have a great love for the island as since the first time I arrived there.When you sit on the beaches and look out it's all good.When your in the water snorkeling it is still an amazing place to be and I appreciate every moment that I am there.Having said that ,I have been checking out Kauai more and more and I think our next trip that way,we will probably go to Kauai.It looks awesome and as you say it's less built up and ther is a lot to be said for that.Kihei does have a lot of condos but still has is a nice place to go to and use as a home base.I love that I can get up and just go across the road to a nice beach that I can be out snorkeling in minutes and see a wide variety of sea life and my Honu within minutes.It also has my favourite sushi place not very far away at all.(Sansai)Yum.There are many great spots to go snorkeling on Maui and we do check them all out.Kihei does have great condos and I guess not so good .We have been very pleased with ours and we are going back again for 3 weeks in November.But beware because I will be going to Kauai at some point soon as I hear and see some of the pictures people have shown on this site.It seems to be more as I remember Maui many years ago.I will always still have a deep love for Maui.Mahalo.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

<<Isn't the area where you stay, Kihei, pretty concentrated with condos?>>

jebett, just to answer your question. We stayed in a time share owned by friends in Kihei in 1987. At that time, it was wall-wall condos. I know they have built up the area towards Wailua quite a bit; we drove through there in 2001 when we were on the island for just a day (business meeting) and it looked like a lot more add been added.

This should give you an idea of how many condos and hotels are in Kiehi:

www.wizardpub.com/maui/mausouthmap.html

Edited: 2:46 pm, March 25, 2010
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,627 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

I think condo prices really vary on Kauai, but over all (I am a budget traveler) I find them to be cheaper in Princeville or the East side, the most expensive ones are in the Poipu area. I have found some nice studio condos in Princeville under $75 - not fancy, but nice/clean places to stay. Here is my favorite website to find a place on Kauai. I like it because I can sort by area as well as by price: http://www.kauaivacationresorts.com/ I also use VRBO.com to find rentals.

I have stayed in Kihei, but we were in a B&B a few miles from the beach - and I did love the Kam beaches. I think you will find the visual aspect of Kauai a very refreshing change from Maui - no high rises, just beautiful tropical landscape. Hope you find just what you are looking for on Kauai! :)

Victoria-British...
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
9. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

I do appreciate your input folks ,and and have a better idea already on accomodations there.

Coalminer:We are budget travellers also.Part of the reason that we even went back to Maui is because rentals seemed to be cheaper there and we already new a good place to stay.I think you are right in saying that we would find Kauai refreshing.I think we can find a place there that will work for us.It will be great to see a different island and all new sights.It looks absolutely beautiful there from all the pictures I have seen.Can't wait.But it will be another couple of years away it seems.Whole new bunches of Honu to see!!Thank's again for your help and ideas again folks.

10. Re: How much for a descent condo per night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 22, 2010