We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

Just got back this week from 12 days in Kauai, first since 1986. We had a great time and used much of the advice from all of you here plus Ultimate Kauai and Underground Kauai. We were very pleased with Embassy Resort, two bdrm units were very nice, and staff at front desk, housekeeping and concierge were great. We were able to switch from nice pool garden view on 4th floor to 3rd floor ocean front on third day. Our last five days were at Sea Lodge in Princeville, a much smaller 1 bdrm unit that was small but adequate with great view of the ocean and lighthouse.

We did make it to Tidepools for my wife's b-day and to Beach House for our anniversary. Both were nice, although we couldn't get window table for dinner at Beach House, so we settled for lounge window seat, and then had dinner on patio after sun was down.

Keokis Paradise was nice for late lunch-early dinner, and also made it to Jo Jo's twice. Who would have thought ice cream with shaved ice was worth trying? Yum.

Although not big snorkelers, and fighting sore ear, we did go to Tunnels twice and it was very good. Didn't try Poipu so can't compare. Survived Inter-Island Heli tour w/o doors and it was ok. Tough to take photos that way. Princeville Hotel is very nice and we were over there for shooting sunsets a couple of times plus their hula show on Sunday night.

When I get organized, I will try to post some photos or whatever. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,511 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

JQ: Aloha!! So glad to hear that you had a good trip - imagine it's hard to be back home - Kauai is so hard to leave . . . I will look forward to your posting of pictures and any other details. Mahalo for sharing! :)

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

Hi Coalminer

Think we are suffering from jetlag or Kauai lag!!! Can't seem to get energy to do anything.

We had a great trip--more wind than I would prefer but it does help with the humidity for those of us that don't know what that is. We had our share of rain but most were short showers or at night. Our last full day on North Shore was pretty rainy but we still snorkeled. Wish we had gone at Poipu. We checked out Anini and the three in Hanelei but they seemed rougher. We hiked the last mile or so to Pu'u o Kila lookout at Waimea Canyon and to the Western end of the road beach as well as Kipi Falls and all the big ones. You must be about due to go back, right?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,511 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

JQ: I remember that feeling - felt kind of slow and was sure I had a sappy look on my face - just had to close my eyes and I was back in Kauai. :) Yes, I am hoping to go this summer, but need to see what those fares will be. Last summer, Hawaiian vacations was offering a 2 for 1, so am hoping they do that again.

Was surprised you could snorkel at all on the North shore - I've just heard how rough it is in the winter, so figured that wasn't even an option. I would still love to go in the winter sometime, but I just so love that North shore - so lush, so beautiful. Did you enjoy little Hanalei? And shave ice is just so yummy! Did you try the green van in Hanalei? Must go - will look forward to your photos! :)

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back From That Darn Kauai!!

On a couple of days that we were just driving around on North Shore to see everything, we saw lots of snorkelers at several beaches including Tunnels, Anini and the Hanalei Bay beaches off Weke Rd. On our first snorkel day, we went in afternoon about 3pm after driving to Lihue for reef shoes. There were quite a few out then also.

On our last day in the morning in pretty steady rain, there were less snorkelers out. Lots of people sitting in their cars and looking at beach!! Since it was our last day, we finally said, lets try it even though I know the pictures would not be very good. It was rough close in but once our a ways, it was fine. It would brighten up outside every now and then.We saw lots of different fish, none of which look like the reef fish on the fish chart or book in our condo!!! I would imagine that summer with calmer days and bright sun would be much better.