We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
taxis

I'll be staying at the St. Regis. Everybody keeps saying we should rent a car. Are there no taxis or are they extremely expensive? I see us only really using a car for dinners--couldn't we just do a cab for that?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: taxis

<< Are there no taxis or are they extremely expensive?>>

Yes. Not a lot of taxis and very expensive.

And you are not planning on seeing any other part of the island??? Really???

California
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: taxis

Wel,l the first thing is it will cost you about $100 to take a taxi to even get to the St Regis. There are not many taxi services on the North Shore so if you think they are all lined up at the hotel like in NYC that is not the case. The St Regis is off by itself so you will have to get a taxi to go almost anywhere except their bus will drive you to their step sister hotel The Westin.

Aren't you planning on seeing anything on the island besides the hotel? How about going to the beaches? Waimea Canyon? Are you planning on taking a tour bus to see the island?

I, along with this entire board, will tell you to rent a car unless you don't have a driver's license.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: taxis

I initially thought we'd see the island via different tours during the day.

Snohomish...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,129 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: taxis

Hun, you do realise you are going to spend thousands on tours and very few taxis, when you can even FIND one.. when you could rent a car for a few hundred and truely enjoy the island!?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: taxis

Tours actually do cost a fair amount of money. And there are so many places you can see on your own, like Waimea Canyon. You'll want to venture out to Ke'e Beach (north shore) and other lovely locations without being strapped down with the schedule of a tour. Money-wise, you will better served renting a car and exploring the island on your own. The tours that I love are a helicopter( or fixed wing) tour of the island, boat tour of the Napali Coast (I prefer the larger catamarans), maybe, ziplining, horseback riding, ATV and kayaking. Honestly, the rest of the island can be explored on your own and in your own time.

Edited: 12:13 am, January 23, 2010
California
Level Contributor
41,899 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: taxis

What tours do you plan on taking? Robert's? The trouble with tours is you are on someone else's schedule. They pick you up early and drop you off late. It is no fun in my book to be herded in and out of a bus all day long. If that's the only way you can see Kauai then so be it, but the island is easy to get around and the freedom you feel with your own wheels is worth it.

If you want to do a helicopter ride there is a service out of Princeville and perhaps the hotel could take you to the small airport about 8 minutes south. If memory serves me it costs about $18 to taxi to Hanalei each way.

Hawaii is just an island where it helps to have a car, but many people don't for various reasons. If you are one of them just be prepared to pay a lot for taxis, the busses are scarce and the tours will have to do for seeing the island.

Have a good time whichever way you choose to see the island.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: taxis

Even the St. Regis won't hold your interest for more than a day or so unless you plan to just lie by the pool and drink $15 umbrella drinks all day. You really can't walk to anywhere from there. They only have 1-2 restaurants and no real activities beyond the spa or the pool.

You'll do much better with a car. The tour bus option will be grim, expensive and inflexible. Taxis -- worse. I'll bet a ride down to Hanalei and back is more than renting an inexpensive car for the day, though you do get ripped on parking at the St. Regis so there is that extra cost.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: taxis

We were told to hire a car in advance (on this forum) and I'm glad we did. We needed it to go to the supermarket to buy our food to have a barbecue around our pool. It was a long walk without it! We also needed it to go on the helicopter ride, as they didn't pick up. And we drove to the Beach House Restaurant for dinner - which was fantastic .. I'm not sure how we would have gotten there without the car.

9. Re: taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 23, 2010