We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailua River Kayaking

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wailua River Kayaking

I know there have been several threads on this, but I still can't figure out whether we should rent a kayak for the Wailua river or go for a guided kayak tour. The guided tour with Wailua Kayak Rentals is $85 per couple, verses $50 for a double kayak rental. I'm not concerned about the extra money the tour costs; I just want the best experience. My husband has never kayaked before, and I have only done it a couple of times. Neither of us are the "outdoorsy" type, but we're both in relatively good shape. I think we could be nervous about trying to navigate the river without a guide, but we also don't want to feel rushed or pressured with a guided tour. We are interested in the kayak/hike to Secret Falls. Thanks for your help!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

I am currently looking into the same issue. I emailed Wailua Kayak Adventures yesterday. They quoted me $60/day for a double kayak. I did not ask the price for the tour. I know you must reserve in advance if you want to rent rather than take the tour. My thinking is, this is a pretty tame trip and you could do it on your own but I do not have any first hand experience.

Virginia
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

DH and I did this on our own on our honeymoon (two years ago). The cheapest rental I found only ended up being $10 cheaper than the cheapest tour I could find (I think $50 vs. $60).

Can't remember the company I went with, but I remember after looking for a while that there was one company right next to the river (so we didn't have to have them tie the kayak to the car, we just wheeled it to the river).

Anyway, the kayaking was pretty easy. The river is realy calm. It is hard to get lost on the river. We did it early in the morning, which was cool, because were down the river to the spot where you leave the kayak to start the hike before any of the tours. However, this ended up being a bit of problem because (even though they give you a map for the hike), there was one place were we had to make a hard turn that wasn't well marked (DH thinks the guides must take down the signage to try to force people to take the tour, rather than rent the kayak and do it on their own). Anyway, eventually we figured out our mistake and made it to the waterfall.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

Our family of 15 was on Kauai a half dozen years ago. We rented 7 kayaks and did Wailua by ourselves, Trip is fairly easy, some of us had never kayaked. though we caught afternoon wind on way back that made it harder paddling.

I stayed with the kayaks when the rest went to Secret Falls. We had some valuables and our lunches and did not want to risk losing any. or losing the kayaks

We had a great time, but we were not alone. Lots of laughing about poor paddlers and not controling direction of kayak with 2 paddlers going different ways. Not sure trip would have been as much fun with just two of us.

One of our favorite family memories.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

The very first time my wife and I ever kayaked was on the Wailua. We did it on our own with just some basic instruction from the kayak company. As long as you are relatively coordinated, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. As others have said the Wailua itself is pretty wide open and the current isn't all that strong. The bigger issue will be the headwinds on the way back. There is really no way that you can get lost on the river. You'll see where all the kayaks are tied up for the hike to the falls (which aren't at all "Secret" by the way).

You can do a search on "kayaking" and look for some of Denny's (kalapakidooley) posts that have some good tips on kayaking techniques.

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

Thanks everyone! I'm still not sure what we'll do, but I think we'll have a good time no matter what. :)

6. Re: Wailua River Kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 12, 2010