We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for shell seeking

boston
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for shell seeking

We are planning to be in Kauai in mid January and was wondering which beaches are the best for finding interesting sea shells?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for shell seeking

Anini Beach on the north shore is a good place to look for shells; sometimes you can find Nihau shells If you would be interested in beautiful colored sea glass washed by the ocean, go to Glass Beach on the south shore.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for shell seeking

Actually, Kauai doesn't have a lot of shells. Anyway it is illegal to take them. the reason is that they are scarce to begin with.

Boston
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for shell seeking

It is also illegal to remove sand from beaches so before you leave the beach make sure you dump all the sand out of your shoes and shake all the sand off of your towel and clothes.

San Carlos, CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for shell seeking

The north shore has best shelling. Hanalei bay toward Princeville and then the beaches off of Princeville are some of the best. While it may be illegal to take shells and sand, it is more of the Kapu that you break. What is born in Hawaii must remain in Hawaii...or suffer the rath of the ali'i. Pele gards the soil and Maui gards the sea...are you a gambler?

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for shell seeking

I always wondered about this taking from Hawaii thing. So if it's made in Hawaii, don't buy it, and if it's laying on the ground leave it there? I wonder where all of those banyan/monkeywood trees went to? It must have been tourists tearing them down?