We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water's too rough to swim?

Tampa
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Water's too rough to swim?

I read some where that in December the waters are too rough for swimming or snorkeling? Is that true? Is it warm enough to swim?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water's too rough to swim?

I will be in Poipu area in December, over Christmas this year. This will be our 4th trip to Kauai at this time of year. Yes, the surf is very dangerous and you must be very, very careful. However, there are many protected beach areas which are relatively safe. Poipu Beach is safe on the south shore. Generally speaking the north shore is very rough and very few beaches are safe for swimming/snorkeling. Ke'e beach and Tunnels are good options on the north side of the island. I recommend "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - Kauai Revealed" as an excellent resource. Warmth of the water is a relative term. You are from Tampa, I am from Northern Michigan and used to swimming in Lake Michigan. Ocean temps are in the mid 70s at the beaches and are probably in the low 70s out in the open ocean if you go on a snorkeling trip. Some of the folks not used to colder water temps use wet suits.

aloha

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water's too rough to swim?

the north shore beaches are calm in the summer, but rough in the winter.

even ke'e, tunnels and anini will all more than likely be unswimmable in december.

i've been to kauai in the winter and the only beaches we could swim/snorkel were poipu (on the south shore) and lydgate, which is a man made protective reef beach park south of kapa'a.