We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

My husband and I just received enough points for both of us to fly to Kauai for free the first two weeks of November. We would like to fly on Saturday and stay two weeks and depart on a Saturday. Yesterday on United's flight - they had no available to fly out on Saturday, November 14th but did have availability to fly out on Sunday, November 15th. I needed to talk to my husband to see if he would be able to get an additional day off work. This morning when I tried to book the flight - Friday, November 13, Saturday, November 14 and Sunday, november 15 were not available - all in the matter of less than 12 hours.

Does anyone know if United makes more saver award seats available the closer it comes to November?? Or am I going to have to try to work it out and travel during week days?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

I always do best when I call American - not sure how United works. What you want to do is ask for different flight plans. Know them all before you call - This really helps - some flight plans may not be available when others are!

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
849 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

I've always found United and American the easiest to get FF tickets, CO and US not as easy, especially for the saver ward seats. However I have always booked my seats as soon as they become available ~331 days ahead.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

Phillie I have also found the same with American - what I actually do now which is really easy is buy a coach ticket and at the same time of booking upgrade to first class with miles - I notice Muffincat is from Michigan - trust me if you are flying out of Metro you will be glad you upgrade - I just took the NW coach 2 weeks ago and NEVER again LOL

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

Thanks but like I said my husband and I just both receives enough miles to book the trip now for November. The flight that I wanted was available last night and when I went to book it this morning - it was gone. I guess it is just a waiting game now to see if those dates become available for the saver award.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

Muffincat - just to let you know you use LESS miles to upgrade to first class and YOU ALSO recieve miles for flying because you purchased a coach fare.

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
921 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

Saver seats on United to Hawaii are becoming scarce. Some may open up when you get close but I wouldn't count on it. It's worth a phone call even if nothing is showing online. A better forum for FF mile topics is flyertalk.com. Lots of good info for every airline there.

California
Level Contributor
39,801 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

My experience with United is if I can't get all the way to Kauai I book to HNL. They have more seats open on SSaver to HNL. Then just purchase your interisland seats. You could also check a different route or even fly into Maui. I would think that week before Thanksgiving you could find something.

Good luck.

Something else I was told my a reservationist is the best day to try to get seats is by calling on a Wednesday morning because most people try and reserve a seat on Sunday nights. I guess people call and put it on hold for 72 hours and if they don't call by 72 hours it goes back in the system.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

If you have award seats, that's awesome,, grab them! I don't think it is likely that prime travel days/ flights will open up until the last minute.

Often more award seats become available the week prior to travel. When I was living on island, I would often wait until the last minute to book. That said, pretty hard to plan a vacation around that. (I did it when visiting family and I would be staying with them, so no planning worries).

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

I always booked nine months to a year in advance - as early as I could get. I have even had trouble getting seats on a simple cross-country flight.

This is one of the reasons we dropped the United Airlines credit card in favor of the Hawaiian Airlines card.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Mileage Plus - Saver Award Seats

We booked our saver award seat (just DH; had to buy mine) back in February for September - and that was into HNL because all of the LIH flights were not available.

I would not count on seats opening up later. Try HNL, OGG (maui) or KOA instead - interisland flights are reasonably inexpensive and if you fly Hawaiian, you can get United miles.

You may also try to find award seats from Chicago or Mnpls or even DEN (which is a United hub) and just pay for tickets to get to one of those airports.

Good luck!