We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

midland
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

We are planning on making it to Kauai near the end of March and are planning on staying in Wailua at Colleens Thatched Cottage, Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding the town, cottage, nearby beaches and must see and do's? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

That facility is inland from Kapaa up in the Homesteads area roughly 3 miles from Wailua/Lydgate area. I believe there are some other threads re the Smith BnB here as well. Its in a fairly quiet location although the road in front is about as main a road as you find up in such a residential area.

If you use the search function for discussion on Kapaa, Lydgate Park, Waipouli etc you'll find many long threads on this East side area and pros/cons vs staying on the east side vs Princeville/Hanalei(North) or Poipu (South)

California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

I have never heard of this place. It could be way up the hill. Do you have a link to it?

Wailua is on the East side of the island. You will be 1/2 way to the North and South. The beaches are beautiful but not swimmable. There's not much in Wailua itself but just up the road is more populated Kapaa. Here is where you'll find The shopping, restaurants etc. If you want to eat at a very good restaurant try Hukilau Lanai behind The Coconut Marketplace Shopping Center. For just a burger there's Bubba's closeby. The main attraction to the Wailua area is the river. They have excellent kayaking trips from here and the famous Smith's Luau is in this area. If you're interested in a luau this is the one to do. I like the Wailua Marina Restaurant. It isn't talked about much on the forum, but I've had many lunches there and it was good. I see more locals here than visitors.

After March 1st all rentals outside of the vacation destination areas (like Princeville or Poipu) must have the proper permits. the govn most likely won't be policing this for awhile but you should be made aware of this requirement.

The only other thing I would suggest, is if you don't find any reviews, no one else has heard of this rental, look elsewhere. There are many cool cottages to rent. Rosewood B and B is a good source for rentals in the Wailua area.

midland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

Thanks for all the info, Apparently this cottage is on Rosewoods Property here is the link www.rosewoodkauai.com/colleens_dream.htm.

We are renting a vehicle and plan to really tour the Island for 10 days can't wait!

Any additional info would be great!

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

You have to leave off the . after Rosewood to see the link. They are a good rental agent so you should be OK but I would still ask around before booking.

California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

This cottage used to be called Thatched Cottage. Here is a review.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60612-i1926-k6934…

The OP hated it. I remember this and they then took it off. It had something to do with not serving breakfast even though they advertised or something like that. Others in the thread loved it there. So just type in Thatched Cottage in the search box and lots come up. Maybe the changed the name because it got a bad review.

midland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

Awesome thanks so much that really helped! Looks good to me,

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

Reserve the rent a car now. I am hearing many stories of people who are waiting and the prices are out of sight. The middle of March to mid April is a busy time.

Have fun.

PS Bring earlplugs. The roosters are terrible up in that area.

midland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

Thanks for all the help! I will keep the roosters in mind, were bother very early risers so it probably won't be a problem, Can you suggest any really nice beaches for both swimming and relaxing?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

End of March either go to Poipu Beach on the South Shore, Lydgate near your cottage or head North to Anini and beyond. Just check the ocean conditions before swimming in case there are warnings out. If you stay near lifeguard towers like at Hanalei Bay (I love it there) you'll be fine. Actually the beaches around Wailua are really beautiful, just watch the currents. They removed the reef years ago so there's little protection.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wailua, Kauai Colleens Dream Thatched Cottage

About the roosters - contrary to popular belief - early risers or not - roosters don't only crow in the morning. We stayed at a place where they crowed all night long ! We got used to it a day or two into it - but earplugs would have come in handy that time !