We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore beaches and sights

Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Shore beaches and sights

My husband and I are staying in Poipu (leaving next weekend!) We will be in Kauai only for 4 full days before leaving for the big island. One morning we are doing the helicopter, but that is all we have planned so far.

We want to see some of the beaches on the north shore, and were wondering how long it will take to drive there, which and how many places we should see if we take one day? We're just unsure how much time it will take.

We want to see Queen's bath for sure, but are open as to any other beaches. I have been reading up in Ultimate Kauai, but can't figure out the timing and which are the best to visit. Any suggestions for beaches and/or other sights (and for food!)along the drive from Poipu would be appreciated.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore beaches and sights

From poipu you should plan on roughly 1.5 hours to drive up to princeville, 2 hours to get to the end of the road at ke'e beach. mapblast.com gives reasonable close drive time estimates for kauai, though I'd usually add a little extra.

Northern California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore beaches and sights

I would recommend that you see Ke'e & Tunnels on the North Shore ~ get there EARLY. In my humble opinion, Queen's Bath was stagnant at the beginning of July. The walk is beautiful and it's definitely a great site, but I wasn't much into swimming in it.

Have fun!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore beaches and sights

Tunnels was by far the best beach that I went to while I was on Kauai, although I must admit that I did not see as many as I would have like to!

Tunnels was very well protected for snorkeling by it's large barrier reef, so even when it is rough water conditions it can be a nice beach to snorkel at. The fish were so close you felt that you could reach out and touch most of them (if you have fish food you might) and there were several sea turtles the day that I went in April this year too.

Ke'e, Secret Lava Pools and Queens bath are North Shore beaches that I missed this last trip that will definately be on my to do list for my next trip!

Enjoy your trip next weekend!! I know that you will love the north shore beaches that you go to!

Aloha :-)

Dan