We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Denver
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

We leave in 12 days - yipppeeee!!!!! There are so many stunning beaches, but we're only there for 7 days, 2 of which are on a boat (we're doing Napali Cat snorkel tour and Kai Bear deep sea fishing). So, what are the 5 must see beaches? I already know Tunnels and Poipu are must sees. Any others? We love snorkeling and pondering life's mysteries while laying on the sand gazing at the ocean. It's just my husband and I, and we're in our 30s.

Thank you all!!

~chris

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Larsen's is nice and secluded, but it's tough to find (which is why it's secluded!) We didn't make it to Secret Beach or Queen's Bath last time, but those are definitely on our list for the next trip. Ke'e is right down from Tunnels - if you've found a parking spot at either, just walk along the sand to the other (though it is a pretty long haul - don't bring a lot of stuff besides your towel and snorkel gear!).

I highly recommend Snorkel Bob's high-end snorkel gear if you're going to rent - yes, it was pricey, but I didn't get a drop of water in my eyes or up my nose!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

I definately recommend adding Kee to your list. Anini (near Kileaua lighthouse (sp))is also a beautiful beach---but the snorkeling stinks. Saltpond on the far south west side is also beautiful with marginal snorkeling by the reef on the far east side of the beach (left as you're looking out from the beach). Great sunsets there. Lawai beach is great for snorkeling (at least in the winter)---doesn't look like much of a beach, but the snorkeling is some of the best. It's right next to Beach House restaurant. And as you already mentioned, Tunnels and Poipu are must sees.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Kinda tough when you're limited to only 5!!

1) Lumahai

2) Anini

3) Ke'e

4) Polihale

5) Kealia

New York
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

blueflamingo, what type of equipment did you rent??? I will be attempting my first snorkeling trip of any kind and want to minimize my diffiiculties. Thanks!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Polihale is a stunning beach, but it takes awhile to get there and don't expect to snorkel there.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Poipu was my favorite. We went there 3 times. We saw seals on the beach and in the water. Good for snorkeling too. We were just there the 3rd week in May and loved it!!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

It's Snorkel Bob's most expensive package - $32/week but totally worth it!!! It includes Mask, Bubba Snorkel, Fins, Net Bag, No-Fog Goop and Fish I.D. Card. I was not looking forward to putting my face in the water (not a big swimmer...) but this gear is virtually idiot-proof and I didn't want to get out of the water! We picked it up at the one in Kapa'a but I think there is another location somewhere else on the Isle. I also got a free book 'cause I had a coupon from one of the free magazines - it's Snorkel Bob's Reality Guide to Hawaii - while not very useful it's a hysterical read - and it was free!

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

For $30 a week Snorkel Bob's will also rent you two beach chairs, a beach umbrella, and a large soft-sided cooler. They came in very handy for us.

New York
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Thank you so much for the info about Snorkel Bob's. I will take your advice and get the best package. I am nervous, but would really like to try snorkeling first off the beach before getting in the water from a boat.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your top 5 beaches in Kauai

Laura147-- a great place to practice snorkeling is at Lydgate park near Kapaa. It's a shallow protected area with lots of fish in it. There is a Snorkel Bob's there in Kapaa, as well as in Poipu. The cheapest snorkel set use to be one with a round mask that was very uncomfortable. I'd recommend the few extra bucks for a better mask.