We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai Trip - Day 4

Archdale, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai Trip - Day 4

We only had two things planned for today and one of those didn't work out. I called Smith's Luau first thing this morning about getting tickets for tonight's show only (after the meal) and was told that they were sold out. (I guess all the cruisers off the boat filled up the place.) Suppose I should have called last week to get the tickets. Well, you live and learn.

We did have a nice two hour brunch with our new friends, Pastor John and Susan Mills, from the Nazarene Church. We ate at the Ono Family Restaurant in Kapaa. The tropical pancakes I had were good enough to kill for.

Before our brunch we stopped by Wal-Mart to check out the cheap souvenirs. I don't think you really have visited a new place until you shop in the Wal-Mart. After Wal-Mart we went over to Hilo Hatties to get our matching outfits for Wednesday night's anniversary dinner at the Bali Hai restaurant as well as a few more souvenirs.

After brunch we chilled at the condo for a couple of hours before heading over to Poipu area for some sightseeing. We went by Spouting Horn. The same lack of waves that made our ocean tour Sunday afternoon so pleasant made Spouting Horn less than spectacular. At least I can better imagine how the water could be shooting up through that hole on a good day now that I have seen a little water on a bad day.

After Spouting Horn we just rode down the beach looking at all the resort complexes and drooled all over ourselves. We then stopped in the Travel Channel famous Puka Dogs at the Poipu Shopping Center for a Polish Sausage. If you like Polish Sausage you will love this place.

We then headed back to the east shore and had a 30 minute sunset walk on the concrete pathway at Lyndgate State Park along the shoreline. Then to condo pool for a nice relaxing and refreshing dip. That place can be romantic when you are the only two there.

So our "slow" day turned out to be a great day. But how could any day in Kauai be a bad day?

Aloha,

Doug

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

Hi PastorD2,

Sounds like a great trip so far. Do you have a laptop with you ?

How far in advance do you have to make reservations for the Smith Lua?

Have another beautiful day in Paradise!

Aloha

Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

Hi PastorD2,

What souvenir did you end up getting at Walmart?

Optocat

Archdale, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

To: Guija01 - Yes, I brought my laptop with me. Sorry, but I still want it on vacation. Can't imagine dealing with the emails when I get back home. Most are deleted, some are read, the ones I know are important aren't even opened till I get back. Plus, I get to do daily updates for you guys which I enjoy.

About the Smith Luau advance reservations - I didn't ask. Their luau is on Mon, Wed & Fri. We are leaving Thurs and already have plans for Wed so it was Mon or nothing for us.

To: Optocat - At Walmart I bought two magnets, a thimble and some coffee. Probably should have bought some mac. nuts as well but didn't.

Aloha,

Doug

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

Hi Doug,

I know what you mean about bringing the laptop with you while traveling. I can't stand coming home to 800 e-mails. There are a couple of internet cafe's in town where you could upload some pics before you get home. Maybe someday the condo will have DSL!!

Too bad about not making it to Smith's. I think you would have enjoyed it. Maybe on your next visit!! Sounds like you've been having a great time with your other activities.

Have fun today and tomorrow!!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

I had the same thing happen at Smiths when we went to get tickets to the pagent for that day. They were sold out then too, and we were there at a less busy time of year. So we skipped it and just went to the Drums of Paradise Luau at the Hyatt on Sunday. The Luaus seem to book up fast, so I guess you would have to sign up at least 3-4 days ahead.

Glad to hear that everything is going well for you two!! Enjoy those slow days...they were the best days for me when I was there ;-)

Aloha :-)

Dan

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

Just got an email from the agency I booked with, announcing that Smith's will be offering dinners/shows 5 nights a week during the summer months (instead of the M-W-F currently available), so if you're going this summer, you may have a better chance of getting in w/out advance reservations...

I figured that since it doesn't cost anything to reserve as long as you cancel 24+ hours in advance if you change you mind, I would go ahead and make reservations for our trip in late June.

Denver
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

Doug:

Small world - I just rented the same condo you're staying in for our 3rd anniversary in July. Glad to hear it is such a great place!

Christine

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai Trip - Day 4

I highly recommend the macademia nut brittle (purchased at Wal-mart, of course). That was the one souvenir I bought for everyone in my family and they loved it. They can't wait for us to go back so I can bring them more.