We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Cage Diving

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shark Cage Diving

Okay, we are headed back to Kauai beginning of June 08 (for two weeks). Staying at the Puu Poa again, but this time in an air conditioned pent house . . . ahhhh.

Question:

I know it is offered on Oahu, but is there an outfit on Kauai that offers shark cage diving? If not, anyone know why? I could not find one on my searches . . .

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Puu Poa Beach
Puu Poa Beach
58 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I have never heard of that particular activity being offered here on Kaua'i.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Cage Diving

"I know it is offered on Oahu, but is there an outfit on Kauai ...If not, anyone know why?"

1. Fewer cold-hearted, piratical ba$tards looking to exploit the environment.

2. A greater shared sense of ecological community on Kauai.

3. Too little demand among the fewer tourists to the island to support the business.

4. Tougher off-shore water conditions (they have to go 3-plus miles out).

5. Better shark feeding opportunities closer to the urbainzed detritus of Oahu.

If you want to swim with sharks on Kauai, just cruise around Hanamaulu Bay with a raw pot roast strapped to your back.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Amberloo: I have been laughing for 10min over your post. What a great sense of humor you have. I soooooo like your answer!!

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Amberloo,

Don't hold back, tell me how you really feel . . .

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Actually, my friend...

I really don't have a strong opinion one way or another regarding the practice (?), "industry" (?). I've swam/surfed around enough sharks in the islands that it wouldn't be worth the cost of the activity to me.

Just wanted to give some probable reasons and poke a little fun at a topic that just begs for it.

But, hey, as long as it is legal...go for it...although the Oahu boats have developed quite a name for themselves as being "self-chummers" due to the propensity for seasickness in the larger off-shore swells.

Oh, and another reason:

6. Sharks prefer Oahu waters so they can network with their own kind...Honolulu attorneys.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Aloha mrfootball! I still remember your first trip to the beloved North shore . . . wondered when you would be back. Two weeks sounds fabulous . . . . maybe just try some regular diving. :)

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Reminds me of Jaws:

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....farewell and adeau to my fair Spainish ladies....."

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark Cage Diving

I don't visit this forum often enough but this time you really caught my eye. I like the idea of the pot roast, but make sure it is raw & bloody. As for the cage, well I have to say that I fully support the idea, it's the right way to observe nature without tampering with the natural order of things. Usually some genious finds a way to cage the wild animal or marine life, WITHOUT their permission, but here is an opportunity for a human to fill in a waiver, get into a cage, and pay for the privaledge to see the wildlife in it's habitat & be entertained without forcing the wildlife to do something that violates natures scheme of things.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k14776…

Which one do you think makes the most sense?

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
764 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Mr. football

Aloha,

i dove with bubbles below out of Port allen in July... i saw lots of sharks up close and personal on the Nepali coast dive they offer.

i didn't need the cage.

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Thank you for that information Decktime.

I am leaning towards the $5 pot roast, it sounds like the cheaper alternative . . .