We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling tours:zodiac or catamaran

NY, NY
1 post
Save Topic
Snorkeling tours:zodiac or catamaran

I am planning my honeymoon for 5.30-6.6, and would love advice on a snorkel trip. Is a zodiac or a catamaran a better option? Any thoughts on which company is best?

Na Pali Snorkel Expedition

Snorkel Bob's Liko Kauai

or any others? I heard of Holo Holo too.

Please help!

And does five hours end up feeling like a long day?

Also, morning or afternoon?

Thanks!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling tours:zodiac or catamaran

Aloha Honeymoon53005!

I can tell you about Liko Kauai Cruises, as we took them on our trip in April. They were very good and they go further up the NaPali coast than any other west coast company. That was a big reason that I picked them, and we were very happy with the cruise.

We were lucky enough to see a baby humpback whale and it's mom even though it was late in the season. We also saw spinner dolphins and green sea turtles.

Liko has a power cat, so you can go into some of the sea caves if the ocean is calm enough (we were also lucky on that too, being able to go completely into one the day we went).

As for the snorkeling, almost ALL of the west coast companies moor at a place they call Makiole(sp?). It was nice, I swam with and got some pictures of a green sea turtle, but not as nice as say Tunnels beach on the north shore. Not as many fish in Makiole as I saw at Tunnels (also swam with the green sea turtles at Tunnels too!).

The big difference is really how wet you want to get on the actual cruise (you definately get wetter on the zodiac). Also, some of the zodiac trips land you on a nice beach for lunch, whereas the cat's have lunch on board during the snorkeling time (your choice to eat before or after your snorkel).

So if you want to get as close as possible to the coast (actually landing on some trips) and don't mind getting wet and having a rougher ride on the cruise, then a zodiac trip will suit you best. If on the other hand you want to see the coast and have a nice snorkel and lunch, a cat is the way to go (if you want to see the inside of a sea cave then go for the power cat or zodiac)

As for the time....It FLEW by! I still can't believe that we were out that long! There was so many beautiful sites and the narriation on Liko's was so good the time litterally flew by. It was a very big highlight of our trip and I highly recommend taking a cruise on the NaPali coast!

We went in the morning because it is my understanding that the sea is calmer in the morning, but next time I will try a sunset cruise to see the coast in a different light! Whichever you choose, I am sure you will be delighted by the grandure of the NaPali coastline!!

-Aloha :-)

Dan