We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned after 10 great days!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Just returned after 10 great days!!

Thanks to all for the great advice; we had a fabulous time. Stayed at the Pono Kai in Kapaa(owner rental), great long swimming beach just outside condo. Had excellent sushi(don't laugh) from the Foodland supermarket, made to order and cheap!! Several good small stores with great plate lunches, best in Waimea on the west side. Great mexican take out at the Roadrunner inside coffeehouse on main street(Kappa). Snorkeling best at Tunnels Beach but parking is hard to find, the sign in the Ultimate Guidebook is gone, just look for all the cars on the right. A Pacific Cafe is closed but there is a great little bar in the same shopping center with good burgers, salads etc. Can not wait to go back!! Don't forget to save those ABC store receipts, they add up!!

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned after 10 great days!!

I just got back last week and can whole-heartedly agree with you about Tunnels Beach being the best snorkling! I also found the same with the parking, but went down to Ha'ena Beach and walked back up the beach to Tunnels reef and had a great snorkel with the MULTITUDE of fish and 2 large Green Sea Turtles!

I had some really good Ahi Poke from the Safeway in Kapaa, so I won't laugh at getting good sushi from Foodland (still have my card from them in my wallet too!).

I drove by the Pono-Kai on many occasions that week and it always looked well kept (as was the Wailua Bayview where I stayed!).

Glad your trip was a wonderful one!

-Aloha

Dan

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned after 10 great days!!

Iphill65 - We'll be in Waimea in 4 weeks. Which restaurants in Waimea had the best plate lunches?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned after 10 great days!!

It was a little grocery/liquor store off the highway on the right, I think it was called the Waimea General store. There is a small grocery store across from it on the left. It is in a line of small stores with grocery store on the end. You will love Waimea, the people were great and the beach is miles long. It was my favorite spot on the island for just hanging out.