We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

Hi there - spending 4 nights in Kauai as part of a 13 night Hawaiian honeymoon in early/mid December 2018. It will be our first visit to the islands.

I was hoping to get some advice on weather. In my research I see that north shore tends to be the rainier side during this time of year. That said the beauty of the Princeville area is captivating and I am so tempted to book at the St Regis. Can anyone with more experience advise if this would be a bad move.. is weather likely to be a wash?

Restaurant recommendations would be appreciated, too :-)

Oh and we’re looking to do a helicopter tour. Well also be on Maui but thinking we should do this in Kauai. I’ve read blue Hawaiian is top notch. Would you agree?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
3,025 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
40,025 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

I've been a few times in early December, stayed on the North Shore and it was fine (except I saw 40 foot waves from the balcony) but if you are going by odds, it could be rainier than usual. Now saying that, The St Regis has stunning views. There is nothing prettier on the island in my opinion, than those North Shore views. If its a dreary day, take a drive south. You will want to see that part of the island any way. Who knows... Poipu could be wet too. Its December!

My favorite North Shore restaurant is BarAcuda in Hanalei. Hands down! We have a top question about restaurant so please check it out.

The restaurants at The SR are very good and also very expensive. Don't miss a sunset cocktail with Falling Down Romance (duo) playing that night.

The hotel can arrange a helicopter tour with Sunshine Helicopters right from the Princeville Airport, otherwise you go out of Lihue by the airport. Its an unforgettable experience. Blue Hawaiian is who I have used a few times and they are top knotch. Save Maui for something else, like snorkeling.

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville...
3,025 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

With such little time I recommend staying where you have the best chance of good weather and that would be in Poipu. In December the whole island could get rain. You better your odds by not staying in Princeville which is on the windward side of the island. There's a reason it's so green and lush!!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

you have to decide if it's super important to you to have great weather for your whole trip. If so, stay on the south shore. The other side of the coin is it's only 4 days of a 13 day stay and you'll probably have good weather on the other two islands. So why not stay where you really want to stay for those short 4 days?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,664 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

I have responded on your other posts ... and I need to ask: Why don't you stick to 2 Islands?

You could spend weeks on Kauai, Maui OR Oahu and not scratch the surface. You're going to lose time and money flying around so much ... and you will see "less" - not more.

Please understand that Hawaii is not like the Caribbean. Changing Islands easily consumes a 1/2 day. And once you get acclimated to one Island ... you leave. The Islands you have chosen are are sizable!

Again ... so much to see and do. Each Island is diverse and ... gorgeous and fun.

Please consider choosing two. Tough choice, but the time you have ... is the time you have. I wouldn't scrunch in three Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Helmetta, New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

I stayed both in Princeville and Poipu in early December for 10 days. It actually rained more in Poipu and we had better weather in Princeville. Stayed at St. Regis which has the most stunning views and then at the Hyatt which is also beautiful. We also went to Maui and while it was down pouring on the majority of the island, we stayed in Wailea which was completely sunny! You just never know with the weather!

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
St. Regis Princeville...
3,025 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,025 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

You are coming all the way from NYC. Do all the islands you can if you feel you won't come back. You are probably young and energetic. You can deal with it. Just pack light and be organized.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,664 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

Being "young and energetic" doesn't make the Islands any smaller. Time and space is still ... time and space.

Edited: 3:23 pm, June 13, 2018
Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
331 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations

One other thing to ponder as you are making your lodging decision is how much time you plan to spend at the beach. Most of the beaches up north could be unswimmable or have very high surf as is common during that time of year, with Anini being the exception. If you are doing more activities than beach time I think you will be just fine up north - just know you will probably see some rain. But that is what makes the North Shore lush.

All of the helicopter operators on the island are very good, who you choose depends on personal preference. Do you want to go doors on or off, do you want to land at the falls from Jurassic Park, do you want to leave from Princeville or Lihue? Answering those questions will narrow it down for you quite a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
697 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Reply to: Honeymoon - December - Recommendations