We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Twin Cities
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Hi,

I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation on the North Shore (or not too far from Anini Beach). My husband and I want to take his sister and her husband out for dinner as a thank you for paying for the house we're all staying at on Anini Beach.

They have a one-year old (the in-laws will watch her), but I know they don't like going to far away, etc., that's why I'm trying to find something special North.

Any ideas? As for cuisine, they/we are pretty open (seafood's always good of course).

Thanks.

Two weeks and counting!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,880 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Aloha! Well, if you are looking at the Northshore . . . you can go to the Princeville or Hanalei area for your dining. You might check out previous posts on restaurant recommendations on the Northshore. I know that Bar Acuda was frequently mentioned as a great new place to go . . .and I have a few really great dinners at the Hanalei Dophin. I am sure some others will chime in with their favorites - have a wonderful time! :)

denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Well, there are quite a few--depends on budget and ambiance--all probably include seafood...

Casual and not-so-casual

Bali Hai in Hanalei Bay Resort ( great views)

3 or 4 within Princeville Resort (high end, elegance and/or views)

Hanalei Gourmet (reasonable--more bar casual w/music)Hanalei

Postcards( small and veg. delight) Hanalei

Hanalei Dolphin (views) set on riverside in Hanalei

and farther down the road(probably 7 mi from Hanalei ) is the Mediterranean Gourmet on the beach next to Hanalei Colony Resort (good reviews).

IMO- Hukilau Lanai in Kapa'a (Coconut Marketplace) wine tasting dinner before 6pm is the ticket for me---they do great seafood with wine for a reasonable price (think 40-50 pp)--it's farther east for you, but worth it.

Boy, am I hungry now! Enjoy!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea is good. I'd skip Bar Acuda for dinner. Better for a light nosh with a glass of wine or two.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

or if you really want special -- hire in a chef for the evening since you have a house with kitchen. If that appeals to you, I can send you a name or two.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Dave -- We'll be coming back in the not too terribly distnt future again for our 30th wedding anniversary. The Chef for an evening idea intrigues me. Can you give me a little more information?

Thanks

Twin Cities
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Thanks for all your ideas...I think we're going to use Dave's suggestion and hire a chef for the night...it sounds so relaxing and different from the usual restaurant evening.

Stephanie

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

The chef we've used before is Brandon Reed. He was the chef at Coconuts when it first opened and has also worked at Postcards. Great guy and fun to have in the house. He and his significant other are personal friends (just to offer full disclosure). He did dinner for 10 at our home and we had a great meal. He even cleaned everything and left the place neat and tidy. Sourced wine at good prices too. Trained chef who spent time cooking in France.

He is now a partner in Windward Market. This is a new fish/meat market and deli in the Kojima shopping center (across from Scotty's) at the north end of Kapaa. They also have other specialty foods. They are still in a soft opening period but are beginning to advertise a little. Lunches to go from prime rib to chicken to bbq ribs etc are also available as well as meats marinated and shrink wrapped ready to cook.. They have a full commercial kitchen, a fish prep room (whole fish in the back, packages out the front) etc.

Their flyer mentions they are prepared to cater at any level from turn key to prepping food for you to finish or to making meals to go.

We know the main owner very well also and I can vouch for the quality of the meat/fish. We've had ahi, mahi mahi, and tenderloin on the BBQ this week and all were great. Another personal friend and former restaurant chef as well.

There is a second chef working there as well -- Robert Moler -- who used to own Aromas. I've eaten his cooking in a home setting as well and it was great.

Call 808 822- 9332 to discuss your needs with them. they open at 10:30 for the lunch trade but Mike Turner (the main owner) is in by 5 AM most days (not sunday). Website is not up and running yet.

Keep in mind they are still in a soft opening period and are not advertising these services too hard yet. I may be jumping the gun a little so don't hang me if they are not quite at 100% . I have seen them cooking for events after regular hours though.

at a minimum, they can recommend others if they can't do what you wish. It's small community and Mike has been providing wholesale meats/fish/specialty products to the trade for a decade +.

I've no idea what they are charging. Cost us about $800 for 10 including a LOT of wine. But that was a while ago before this operation was in business.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

Thanks so much Dave. I'll file this info for the next trip over.

Kimo

9. Re: Need restaurant recommendation on North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, August 20, 2009