We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with the Dolphins!

Kelowna B.C.
3 posts
Save Topic
Swimming with the Dolphins!

Have You had the oppertunity to swim with the dolphins?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

Hottie,

Not sure if you were directing your post to maui, or BI visitors.

kauai does not have any captured sea critters, and therefore, any swimming with dolphins would be their choice to join up on you, should you be swimming along, and not chasing them.

You see lots of spinner dolphins on the napali boat tours, but will not be trying to swim with them.

Many times, just like back in the catalina channel, the pod will swim over and several will ride the bow wave of the vessel.

Same for the whales, in that our vessels have to maintain distance from the whales.

We let the residents of the ocean remain in their natural state. No pools, no hoops, no feeding, no riding, no bugging, and no capturing..

The Big Island has all that, and I beleive the same for Oahu.

Denny

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

I read that Maui had the good taste to ban captive dolphin swims. Oahu and Big Island both have them. But I wish they didn't.

Have a feeling HawaiinHottie is asking about wild dolphins though. Good answer.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,904 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm with the folks above who are against captive dolphin swims -- the only thing I can see good about them is that it educates visitors about this incredible sea creature and makes them possibly more concerned for their well being. Having said that, I don't believe that captive wild dolphins is ever a good idea, except when they are injured and need to be rehabilitated.

Kaua'i has the "spinner" dolphins, the Pacific bottlenose (the "Flipper" type) are here very infrequently, but are not native to these waters. The dolphins are not ever in a situation where you could just swim up to them -- unless you are one of the fortunate folks who is just swimming in the ocean and happens to have one come up to you -- but this is very rare. You can see them very easily from the beach areas (I see them playing and feeding all the time from the beach in Kekaha) and from the tour boats. You don't need to swim with them to appreciate their beauty and playfulness.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

I have had the most wonderful experience of having a spinner and a bottle nose approach me in the open ocean once each. The spinner was in K-bay on the Big Island. I was snorkeling and it came up to within about 3 feet and looked me straight in the face then swam to the bottom, picked up a large leaf, balancing it on it's nose, taking it to the surface, letting it go, then going back as it drifted down and "catching" it on it's nose again. The encounter lasted about 5 minutes. The bottle nose was just off the Great Exumas, Bahamas. I was diving in about 20 feet of water and a mother dolphin and a baby swam over head. The mother stayed above, but the baby came down and played with about 10 divers. It would go around and around, in and out, then would go up and nurse for a while, then back it would come again. This encounter lasted about 20 minutes. The picture below my name is one my hubby snapped as the baby got in his face. In both cases nobody tried to touch, chase, swim after, or in any way harm these beautiful creatures. I completely agree and concur with the other posters this is the only way to EVER swim with a dolphin. It breaks my heart to think of doing it otherwise.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

Wow Bips that must have been amazing. I have had dolphins come pretty close while swimming in my home waters, Monterey Bay. Close enough to hear their clicks, but not close enough for eye contact. I'd love to have a closer encounter in the wild someday.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

scincali-

Yes, it was amazing. In fact, I look at it like a once in a lifetime experience I got to do twice.

I'm glad you emphasized the part about dolphin encounters out in the open ocean and on their terms. They come, they go, as they wish. IMO, the best and ONLY way to go.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

Dolphin encounters thru the natural occurances at their lesiure really are very special.

On KAUAI FUN ( 32 foot power cat ) along the Napali, brought me a special close encounter.

I spotted a large pod of dolphins and went up forward to sit at the bow, on the support that joins the two hulls. From sailing in socal waters, we often have dolphins spot our sailing vessel and swim over to ride the bow wave. One of us would go up forward to observe them body surfng the bow wave,while the other mined the helm.

Anyway, back to Kauai, as I was sitting there, on Kauai Fun, the bow would slide down into the water and my feet would just enter with the light swell.

A dolphin swam up between the hulls, and started touching her back to the bottoms of my feet. I did not move, or extend out, just stayed in the sitting position. She did that for about 2 minutes and and eventually dove away, and joined back up with the pod.

Very special experience, and it was on the Dolphins own terms.

Denny

8. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 16, 2009