We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd driver minimum age?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
2nd driver minimum age?

I think I already know the answer to this question but I'm going to through this out there anyway. We are going to Kauai on Monday. I have a mini-van and a compact reserved (the 2nd car is for my husband to go to work while the rest of us play). My 18 year old would love to be able to drive but most companies state that the 2nd driver must be 25. Some have a surcharge for 21. Are there any companies that would allow my 18 year old to drive? Probably not.... but I told my son I would at least ask.

8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,045 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218…

Island Cars is the only one, if they even still in business.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

I emailed them just now. He may just have to deal with mom driving him around! ;)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

I emailed Rent-a-Wreck. And this was their response! Are they kidding me??? There is no way we'd EVER rent one of those scooters. I opted to delete their email and not respond.

"Aloha

Thanks for contacting Rent-A-Wreck Kauai & Kauai Scooter Rental.

All drivers must be 21+. There isn’t a rental car company on island who rents under 21 but we could rent him a scooter/moped. See rates below."

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

Martik, I wouldn't knock yourself out just so your son can have some wheels. At that age they should be able to deal with not having car keys while on vacation. Just tell him this our family time and aren't you lucky to spend time with me.

Edited: 9:06 pm, November 17, 2017
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

Now that I think back my oldest son was 21 when he rented from Rent A Wreck. He was travelling on his own and paying for his own trip. Just tell him he can look forward to turning 21 and going to Kauai on his own.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

Totally, Napaguy. Your trip, your money, your rental contract...and so on. I would've had to pay a few hundred extra for my 22yo to drive when we were on the BI in June. No, thanks. And he wasn't chomping at the bit to run the store for me, or ferry around his mom & brothers in a Yukon, lol.

~ Colleen

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

Have you considered renting a small pick up from U-Haul? There minimum age is 18 according to their website. You can rent by the hour, day or week. I rented a pick up once to help one of my kiddos move and it worked out very well. Good luck! :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,745 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd driver minimum age?

No, he can just rude shot gun. He asked, I told him I'd check it out. He's been going to Kauai since he was 3 months old and thought it'd be cool to drive himself. But not this time. And I was looking to put him down as the 2nd driver. I'd rent the car.

Reply to: 2nd driver minimum age?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted