We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

We will be visiting the BI this coming January. Some friends are coming over for 3 days to join us and we have made plans to take the circle island helicopter tour and a guided snorkel tour of K bay as recommended by you both. Here's the problem, there were going to be 6 of us so we would have all fit in one helo and one zodiac but now another couple is joining us. One of them will have to purchase two tickets on the helicopter because of the weight issue and I don't think a zodiac will hold the 8 of us. Do you have any solutions or opinions for these two "touchy" issues. Is there another smaller scale snorkel tour that could take just the 8 of us? Is there a helicopter tour operator that will take 8 and are sensitive to the weight issue? Thanks for any help you might give on this. I'm the designated tour guide for these 3 days and am struggling with what to do.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

good news- bad news

First the good........... Dolphin Discoveries takes boats of up to 12 on tour others are limited by the 6 limit since they have only one crewman. Dolphin uses 28 ft RIBS, rigid hull boats.... wau better than the flexi- little zodiacs

Now the bad.... All the Helo companies will charge anyone over 240 1.5 to 2 times the going fare and none seat more than 6,

Now then..... if some of your party are very light under 130, then they can accept the whole party as it will be within the helos gross- max flying weight....... and may charge the over weight person only slightly more.... When the helo is heavy loaded it cant carry a lot of fuel or thus will be more direct in their route without any lingering.. to save fuel burn.

As a compromiseYou might look at Big Island Air who has no restrictions with weight, and I think gives a better volcano tour. a 2 hour tour runs between 250 and 290 depending on time and can hold 9 persons of any weight

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

Thank you for replying HD. Dolphin Discoveries sounds like our best choice. I'm going to contact them today. Is Big Island Air a fixed wing tour?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

yes it is everybody gets a windo, they fly low and slow, and if toyr focus it the volcano you get a far better tour than the helos as you fly over Kona, Place of Refuge, the south flank of Mauna loa and the upper Kiluea region that the Helos never enter

4. Re: HawaiiDan and Typically Tropical, I have some "touchy" ?'s..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 27, 2009