We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona By the Sea damage?

north of Toronto...
9 posts
Save Topic
Kona By the Sea damage?

Our 20th anniversary is (hopefully) being celebrated on the Island of Hawaii next week. We have a booking at Kona By the Sea, but I read many on-line newswire reports stating that . . .

"The earthquake caused water pipes to explode at Aston Kona By The Sea, a condominium resort. The manager of the front desk says it created a dramatic waterfall down the front of the hotel from the fourth floor, and "you could almost see the cars bouncing up and down in the parking garage."

I phoned the resort today, but the person answering the phone didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. She didn't even want to acknowledge the report as accurate or over-blown. The topic of damage was obviously not up for discussion and now I'm worried.

Is there anyone who has first-hand knowledge of the situation at Kona By The Sea? If we need to change facilities, we've only got another few days before the penalties really kick in.

As an aside, we'd also like to apologize to the people of Hawaii as we think that we might have jinxed your island. Our 10th anniversary vacation involved two large hurricanes and a smashed Norwegian Cruise Lines ship. (We are now fearing what our 25th might bring. lol)

Any information you can offer would be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks for such an informative forum and we hope that everyone on your beautiful chain of islands is unscathed by the quake.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona By the Sea damage?

My husband and I are also scheduled to stay at Kona by the Sea and would be very interested to hear of any damage and when/if the expect to have it fixed.

Like katshill we too seem to bring a jinks because last year on our vacation we cruised to Cozumel the week of Thanksgiving just after Wilma hit. It was a mess and we were not able to get of the boat and from what we could see of the shore there was nothing left. Did't have the best of time.

This year we decided to go to the Big Island (same week, Thanksgiving) and an earthquake hits. It seems like where ever we pick for a vacation spot a natural disaster happens. I'm almost afraid to plan a trip for next year.

As soon as someone can tell us what they thing the damage will be the better we might need to call our travel agent. Do you know if travel insurance covers things such as this? If so, then it will be worth every penny I paid if we have to cancel.

2. Re: Kona By the Sea damage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, August 26, 2009