We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay

Level Contributor
505 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay

I would appreciate suggestions on a beautiful resort on the Big Island. Is there one with white sandy beaches? If so is it one that you would recommend, or is there another one that's nicer. Thanks

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay

Aloha!

I would opt for the Fairmont Orchid...luxurious BUT not too stuffy and on a nice beach...a very relaxing place. You might also consider the Mauna Lani as well if your wallet can handle it. LOL.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay

Thmar,

What are you looking for and what range would you like to spend? Resorts on white sandy beaches on the BI aren’t plentiful, thankfully. But can be had. W/o knowing specifics, Mauna Kea Beach hands down has the best combination of beach, luxury, service, golf and oh, yeah, beach.

Good luck and happy travels!

Level Contributor
505 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay

Thank you both for your replies...As for what type of resort I'm looking for....I don't mind spending the extra $$$ if it's a wonderful hotel, room, service, food, beach. I love the Sheraton Mona Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian on Oahu...I love the ambience of these places,but I do opt for the larger ocean front rooms in the Tower. Does this help?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay

There is only one hotel here right on the beach and that is the Mauna Kea Beach Resort. There are other hotels on ocean front, some with even a patch of sand, but none come close to the Mauna Kea. However, even though it recently went through a multi-million $ renovation, it is still the oldest hotel on the Kohala coast.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay

I would suggest the Hapuna Beach Prince. It's a sister hotel of the Mauna Kea, and just next door. Both beaches are great. I find the Hapuna Beach hotel more relaxed.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay

Sorry Al but the Prince Hapuna Beach Hotel is not on the beach, there is a trail from the hotel to the Hapuna Beach Park. The Mauna Kea is RIGHT on the beach and that beach is probably the best beach on the island.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay

This topic has been cussed and discussed multiple times, the hapuna prince is a short(<5 minutes to the beach from my room, and my room was at the far end of the hotel) walk to the beach, which is gorgeous. No you cannot see the beach from most of the rooms. We loved the hapuna prince, but many on this forum have not. It also has a nice golf course. If you have the money(with a capital M) screw the beach and stay at the four seasons.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay

four season has an awful beach to match its over inflated prices, 40% HIGHER than any other hotel here..... it charges to be with the beautiful people........ it is posh but it could be in LA or Maimi..... no Hawaiian feel. There ar hotels that are twiice as good for half the prriice. The emporers new clothes collection is on display here.

Mauna kea is your best choice...... ALL the others EXCEPT kona Village Resort are less than what you want Hapuna iis Not even close to the beach......it is built as a golfers resort.

New Jersey
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay

I just returned from 6 days at Hapuna Prince. I am not sure how peopel can say this hotel is not on the beach. If you are staying in the main building, you take the elevator to the second floor and have a short walk right to one of the most beautiful beaches you have ever seen. Our room as about the furthest away you can get from the beach and it was less than a five minute walk to the elevator and then to the beach.

We absolutely loved the Hapuna Prince. It was beautiful and very relaxed. The service was excellent. Many of the rooms have view of the ocean.

we went to Mauna Kea. It seemed old and a little run down. Pool is not nearly as nice as Hapunas.

Have a great trip/

Level Contributor
505 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay

Thank you for all the input...I think the Mauna Kea is probably what I'm looking for...thanks!