We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel trip recommendation - Kohala

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
290 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel trip recommendation - Kohala

HI Everyone,

We'll be in Waikaloa next month and are looking for recommendations for a snorkeling boat tour trip. In previous discussions and in reading the "Top Questions" i've heard positive reviews of Jack's, but according to their web site they only have a night manta ray snorkel, and a dolphin/whale watching snorkel and from what I've read the dolphin snorkels aren't really a good idea as they disturb the dolphins. We do plan a night manta snorkel trip, but I'd like to first do a day trip.

We're a family of four with two boys ages 11 and 14, everyone but me is a very good swimmer. However we've never snorkeled. Our goal is to find a good boat trip that can get us out into the ocean a bit, and provide some lessons that we can then use to snorkel on our own the rest of the week.

I've been looking at ships like the sea quest and fair wind down in Keauhou bay and these look like great trips, but they are bit of a hike from Waikaloa. Are there any similar operations in Kohala that folks would recommend. Our ideal trip is around 3-4 hours, with snacks, a bathroom (for the wife), and instructions for new snorkelers (as well as a life vest for me)!

Thanks in advance.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel trip recommendation - Kohala

I ran across this topic randomly - I think it didn't get any replies because it was posted at 430am HI time and so probably got buried :-)

I know you're coming to the island today so you may have booked something already but I wanted to clarify that Jack's doesn't do swim or snorkel with dolphin tours. But I wouldn't go with them anyway except for the manta ray night snorkel, since you're staying up north and ocean conditions are much better up there right now. There's plenty of good snorkeling from shore so you really don't need to take a tour - but it is nice to get out on the water. Kohala Kayak does a nice snorkel kayak tour out of Puako. Mauna Lani Sea Adventures has a nice sailing catamaran.

2. Re: Snorkel trip recommendation - Kohala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 17, 2015