We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

baltimore
4 posts
Save Topic
budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

My husband, myself and my 1 year old son will be traveling to Hawaii in October. The first 5 days of our stay we will be staying in Oahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (husbands work trip, they are paying for everything there!). We decided to extend our trip and travel to the big island for three days. SO I have a few questions on how to spend three days there on a budget!

1)I am having a hard time finding a place that would be under $100 a night that has a crib or pack and play . The only two places I have found are AAAH, the Views and the Kona Tiki Hotel. Any opinions on either of these or another place that would have something for the little one to sleep in that is cheap! I don't really know where we want to stay and that brings me to the next question...

2) It seems that the things that we want to do are all over the island, so which side do we stay on. After reading some of your comments it seems that we shouldn't stay in Hilo or Kona. But that still leaves so many different places! We definitely want to see the volcano, of course! but other than that we just want to experience the beauty and the culture of the island...probably go for a good swim somewhere!

3) Is the Kona Airport really that bad? Should we fly into Hilo no matter where we stay?

4) What are the things we can do and see that are relatively inexpensive? As I said before we want culture and to see the beauty. We are definitely interested in seeing the Coffee and Mac Nut plantations...which ones?

Sorry for the overload! I would appreciate any help I can get!

THanks soooo much!

A Hawaiian Traveler

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

What dates on October....... from about th 10th to the 30th IronMAN participants, media and fans will make it a zoo... and prices will be high as well....... not to mention trying to get a car or room.....

KONA airport is an excellent choice over Hilo....... way more . I would avoiid Hilo with a child

THE Tiki a mile south of kona an smack dab on Alii and the Ocean..... NO AC and geared to back-packers and budget folks.

It can get very noisy...... never heard of the other place... where is it.

You can drive to Hawi and the rain forest for a day. Or down to place of refuge and the coffee country... Mac nut plantations are pretty un- remarkable and located 50 miles south of Kona

I would stay in waikoloa area buut the rates start at 160 and go up.

but is a way better family place than Kona

baltimore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

Aah the Views is in Kamuela and seems to get great Reviews.

We will be there from 23rd to the 26th of October...I was thinking there might be an issue with the Ironman but we don't have a choice of when we are going to be there!

I also had another question...I forgot to add, has anyone found a place to rent a car for a great deal?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

wAIIMEA / Kammuela will be out of the fray for the most part but expect it to be cool and windy that time of year with some rain. and drizzel folks have fireplaces up there and use them..... its almost 3000 ft and 20 miles from the beach areas. and 15 degrees cooler

A very nice rural town with out any resort or visitor facilities... its the HQ for ranches and the keck telescope....

It does have some of the best dining on the island and other little family places. Its cowboy country wiith pines, streams, rolling green pastures and farms. cattle,..... not a palm in sight

As for cars......during this period jjust getting a car is a feat..... so the rates will be 50 to 70 a day for a short rental. If you want to explore, consider that hertz, avis,Budget, enterprise have heavy restrictions on their cars..... like where they are allowed to be driven to....... ask where you will be allowed to drive....... important

You will be in a good position to explore the east side but not the coffee country as it is a 2 hour drive, But hilo is only a 1.5 hour and the volcano is 2.5 nearest beach will be Hapuna

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

I absolutely, positively love the Big Island (our personal favorite of all of the islands) and can't believe I'm saying this but IMHO you should not go there on this visit. As HD said, with the Ironman there it will be a zoo and expensive. I'm afraid you might get a really bad impression of the BI if you go there. My suggestion would be either to stay put on Oahu and go find a wonderful place away from the craziness, crowds and traffic for your 3 days. If you feel you must go somewhere else, try Kauai or Maui for 3 days. Kauai would probably be more budget oriented, however, when we are on Maui we don't have any trouble staying on a budget. There's my 2 cents worth:)

baltimore
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

why oh why does the Ironman have to be there that week!!!!!!! Now I don't know what to do! Will it really be that bad?? all of the hotels and stuff still have rooms, even the ones that supposedly fill up fast! tricky, tricky....

Thanks for your ideas!

Southern Belle
Level Contributor
139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

Unfortunately, I concur with bips, atravelinmom. Perhaps the Oct. trip is not the right time for you to visit the BI. With the Ironman, a 1-year old and a limited budget, it would be best to skip the BI for now. We are not trying to dissuade nor demean you in any way, but if you want the BI experience, those 3 factors all at the same time will limit you in the things you can do and sights you want to see.

7. Re: budget on the big Island with a 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 17, 2009