We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have a few questions

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
have a few questions

witch one of these resorts would you pick ? and why?

mauna kea or fairmont orchid. ten night stay.

also is puako on the kohala coast. thanks

California
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have a few questions

Between the two, The Orchid would be my pick simply because of the location. Not on your list is the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel which I would pick over either.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: have a few questions

why? the mauna lani

thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have a few questions

For me, I wouldn't select either....as for that length of stay (10 nights)....... I know the comfort and spaciousness of one of the area's lovely condos would suit me better.

Personally, 4 nights in a traditional hotel is all I sign up for.

There are many high-end condo/villa options on the Kohala coast. Having a separate sleeping/living area is a real perk, along with in suite laundry, and a kitchen to prepare snacks, quick breakfasts and beverages. One need not be "cooking on holiday" The option to have the ability to heat up a leftover, or prepare a simply grill piece of locally caught fish is a huge plus IMO.

Now if you are firm on a Hotel......the essence and location of Mauna Lani Bay Hotel would be my choice.

Puako is indeed on the Kohala coast but has never been on our radar. I don't like the vibe there. There are not Hotels or decent condo choices in Puako. Home rentals range from the derelict to Multi million$ mansions on the ocean.Water access can be tricky. AC is a must have for me and many of the properties there lack it...except of course those priced greater than$500/ night

Perhaps a nightly budget quote$ could assist in providing some more specific suggestions. I suspect the nightly budget is a rather generous one as you are considering Mauna Kea Hotel....

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: have a few questions

thanks

are you saying that the mauna kea& Fairmont are not in a nice area?

something to think about. a condo, but we do love resort.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have a few questions

Here are the aerial views, showing their proximity to the ocean and overall size of the complexes. Cannot recommend any, however, because we are not resort people, although we have stayed in and visited many resorts over the last 25 years of travel to the Big Island. Different travelers have different desires for accommodations so a blanket recommendation is impossible. I would need to know much, much more about you and your wishes, expectations and budget before recommending one of these three.

We prefer direct oceanfront condos with lanais overlooking a beach and within steps of snorkeling at an affordable price. Others prefer resorts, some don't mind having NO view of the ocean nor having to drive to snorkeling, and price is not a factor. Also, all the resorts you mentioned are nearly an hour and sometimes much more, north, away from everything we enjoy doing in and around, below and above the ocean. All of these things and more need to factor into the decision travelers make when choosing their accommodations. Hope this helps get you started:

Mauni Lani

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/big-isla…

Orchid (next door)

Mauna Loa

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,041 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have a few questions

The Mauna Kea and Fairmont are both nice beach hotels on the Kohala Coast which is where you will want to be for good beach and ocean access, the best weather and snorkeling, and scenic day hikes. I am a diver, swimmer, hiker, snorkeler and kayaker and these are the areas where I spend my free time. The Kohala Coast also puts you within easy access of the non-touristy upcountry towns and restaurants instead of the dense touristy, Kailua Kona. So the area you've chosen is ideal, however I agree with Wanderlust that 10 nights is a long time for a hotel stay. A condo in these same resort areas will give you more room and the ability to have some meals in if you choose.

As far as the Fairmont or the Mauna Kea, the Mauna Kea is a much better hotel on one of the prettiest beaches on the island, but it's also usually quite a bit more money than the Fairmont. I agree that the Mauna Lani hotel should be on your list as well as looking at the condos within the Mauna Lani resort. Condos like the terrace and the Point offer lovely ocean views and are next to the excellent snorkeling at Makaiwa. Both have their own pools and the Terrace also shares amenities with the hotel so you can use that pool as well.

Something else to think about, with that length of time I would also consider staying 2-3 nights on the east side to allow you to spend time in Volcanoes National Park and Hilo and Hamakua.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have a few questions

shelley, it doesn't really matter what we would pick. We are not you, and each of these appeals to a different type of person.

If you want advice that will help you get what you want, it's not going to happen with you writing such short posts and not telling us anything about you and your plans. Sorry but it's true. Look at the posts replying to you, how much effort is in them. Can you meet us halfway by writing more?

Note: if you have a problem writing or something like that, I understand and you can only do what you can do, but it's difficult to tell. (I notice all your past posts are very short.)

Have you been to the websites for these resorts? If not, go there first. If you have, tell us what about them you like the most.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: have a few questions

kamaainak,

my apologys, yes I do have problems writing.

so, instead I make it short.

thank you wanderlust,bips, shea g.

I love all your input and I am looking into a condo.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: have a few questions

OK, I understand if it is a difficulty. Thank you for explaining that.

It would still help if you say something about who is coming and what you all like to do. It sounds like you have a pretty high budget, because you are looking at quality hotels. If so you have a lot of options to choose from.

10. Re: have a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 11, 2015