We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island Activities

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island Activities

Hi all,

We just have a short time on the BI - 6 nights/7days.

We'll be east side in Volcano for 2 nights exploring VNP then heading across to stay at Mauna Lani Terrace.

We're not going to book much in while we're on the West Coast as I hear there is great snorkeling right near our condo but wanted a bit of advice regarding the following places/activities:

- Stargazing at Mauna Kea - we'd rather not book the summit tour as we don't want to be locked into a particular date. So I wanted to know what the stargazing is like from the visitors centre? I have read they have telescopes set up for public use? Is there a big difference in the views/visibility from visitors centre vs summit?

- Are there any good sunset sails in or around the Mauna Lani? Or even down by Kailua-Kona?

- What are people's views on the night snorkel with the manta rays? Is it a must do? When we were in Thailand we did a night snorkel with the phosphorous plankton and it was one of the best things I've ever done - so I think I would enjoy this? Which tour provider would people recommend?

We'll probably do one or the other between the sunset sail and the manta ray snorkel but the hubby is a big star gazer so I think Mauna Kea is a must.

Last but not least, we are planning on self catering for the majority of our stay on the BI so I'm wondering where people would suggest doing a big grocery shop?

We'll be in Hilo and Volcano for the farmers markets so can pick up some fresh produce there but thinking more along the lines of drinks, snacks, water etc... Also wondering of you can pick up coolers with ice at the supermarkets so we could keep things fresh if we had a bit if a drive with food in the car?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Anna

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,092 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Big Island Activities

Annie,

here is the link to register for the Safeway Club Card.

ttps://www.Safeway.com/ShopStores/RSS-Forms-UserRegistrationForm.page?goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.safeway.com%2FIFL%2FGrocery%2FHome

After you're in, go to the Just4U tab to start loading deals onto your card. The card gives you sales prices automatically, but the E-coupons need to be loaded each week, just the ones that interest you.

I have done stuff with my MaiKa'i Rewards card online, so I'm sure you can do the same, just run a search for Foodland and MaiKai or Mai Kai and it should come up.

22. Re: Big Island Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2015