We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kite boarding and surfing intro's?

Lenoir City, TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
kite boarding and surfing intro's?

aloha all,

my wife and i are in the waikoloa area (hilton) in august, and i'm interested in getting an introduction to surfing and kite boarding. we are 6 night there and then 9 nights on maui, and i get the impression that kite boarding is more prevalent there, but i thought i would ask around and see what is what on the BI. thanks!

--- michael

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,199 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kite boarding and surfing intro's?

There is only one place on the west side of the island that I regularly see kite boarders at, and that's Kiholo. There's no instruction there, they appear to be mostly experts. You will also find them sometimes at Anaehoomalu in Waikoloa Beach depending on the wind, but I don't know of anyone doing instructing there either and I don't think there's any rental here. Maui is a kiteboarding mecca.

Beginning surfing here is also very limited. Most lessons are at Kahaluu Bay and it's kind of a zoo plus in August there likely will be zero waves. Maui would be a better spot for both.

Edited: 4:42 pm, April 17, 2014
Lenoir City, TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kite boarding and surfing intro's?

shea, thanks, that was pretty much what i expected, but i figured it would not hurt to ask.

--- michael

3. Re: kite boarding and surfing intro's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 19, 2015