We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
259 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Hi,

We are highly leaning towards Mauna Lani Point condo, a 2 Br unit. Any suggestions for a specific unit/units to rent ? I am planning on using an agent to book the entire trip, so I can ask the agent to look for a particular type of unit.

Another question , if we were to spend a night in VNP, should we do at the beginning of the trip or end of the big island trip on the way to Maui ? And any suggestions for the accommodations ?

Or should we just do a day trip from ML point ?

Thanks

Kush

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Mauna Lani Point unit choice is very important since this is an older complex and unit updates and remodels vary widely. I personally wouldn't use an agent, I'd book through vrbo so you can see individual units, read individual reviews, and negotiate directly with the owner for the best price. C204 is a unit I'm familiar with and it's very nice inside. F106 is also nicely updated.

Definitely overnight in Volcano. I like Volcano Village Lodge but there are many options discussed in the Top Question on east side lodgings. Whether to end or start with the east side depends in part on your flights. Are they booked? Are you flying into KOA and out of Maui from the mainland? If so then you want to end with the east side stay so that you can fly interisland from Hilo to Maui. Also if you're flying to the BI first you'll be tired and so I'd start with the west side longer stay rather than try to hit the ground running on the east side.

Edited: 5:24 pm, April 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Thanks for the question, Kush, since we're also considering the Point.

And thanks for the answer, Shea. We've been looking at units available through VRBO, and C204 is at the top of our list. BTW, nice avatar photo.

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
259 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Thanks . Yes, we are flying yo Maui from Big Island , so may be we will go on the east side st the end of our trip.

Is Cliff House near by to stay at for our visit to Hilo?

In case if we don't get the right unit at Mauna Lani point, any suggestions for an alternative ? Are there any villas in. Mauna Lani that are a good option ?

Thanks in advance

Kush

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

No, with only one night I would just stay in Volcano, not Hilo. And try to make that flight out the next day to Maui for fairly late. What with stopping en route, it will take you more than half a day to get to VNP from the west side and the Park really needs a good 7-8 hours just for the basics, so you'll need that next day to spend in VNP. Also it's better to stay by the Park so you don't waste a lot of time driving back and forth between there and your lodging.

If you want ocean view, aside from the Point the Terrace is a good option. For non ocean view, Palm Villas.

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
259 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

I just came across Waiulaula at Mauna Kea Villas and they look great !! How do they compare with Mauna Lani Point ? Better ? If so, we may consider those. I just had a glimpse of it on one of the websites, will do a bit more research on them. But appreciate any feedback,

Kush

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

Well, here's the deal...staying at the Mauna Lani and in particular at the Point or the Terrace, gives you access to the excellent snorkeling at Makaiwa bay and over to Honokaope. Public access to those areas is either long or limited respectively. Secondly, the Point or Terrace and most other ML complexes are much closer to the ocean than Waiulaula which is not reasonable walking distance to the beach (Kauna'oa) because it's far and up a steep hill. However public access at Kauna'oa, one of the prettiest beaches in Hawaii, is also very limited. So basically the question is, how much do you prioritize walking to the beach and ocean and good snorkeling over getting easier access (via car or possibly golf cart if the unit has that) to Kauna'oa? Also the Mauna Lani has several restaurants between the two hotels and Shops, the Mauna Kea very few....BUT they are only a 5 minute drive apart.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

I've posted this before but take a look at the units at maunalanipoint.com. You are able to see pics of many units. We stayed at D202 and I recommend it highly. That unit actually has an extra small bedroom even though it's listed at a 2Br. There are 4 twins and one king and the view is fantastic.

8. Re: Which units are better in Mauna Lani Point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 19, 2015