We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

We have used Trip Advisor reviews in the past for accommodation and cars and they have been accurate,

Just came back from 15 days near Captain Cook in a VRBO property. Number was VRBO 458131

It was a quite good budget apt, but neither the reviews or the owners summary mentioned:

It was not possible to lock the apt. up

The neighbours have a noisy dog, that became quite tiresome.

Would be more cautious in future with VRBO reviews

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

In the forums, I always warn people looking at rentals in rural areas in South Kona and otherwise that noisy dogs are a fact of life, and the owner should be asked directly if there is one around. Ditto roosters, loud parties, street racing. I'm sorry that happened to you!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
168 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

Agreed. In general when you get off the beaten path with the locals this place is not as quiet as you would think. I don't have anything on 3 sides of my house and at times it is still a bit noisey. Of course everything is open air which makes the noise more noticeable. I do not mind the birds though !

No matter the source of the reviews, I'm generally skeptical. Pays to double check.

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

Good point - thanks. Probably applies to rural areas anywhere !

We have certainly had "good" roosters some places.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

Oh, man, if you had posted the location of this rental we could have warned you about the likelihood of the dog situation. In general, as KK says, best to avoid rural residential areas in South Kona. Also, this is almost totally sure to be an illegal vacation rental.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,011 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

Aside from the fact that it is an illegal rental, which I personally won't patronize or recommend both for the renters' protection as well as out of respect for the neighborhoods that have zoning for a reason, these reviews would have set off alarm bells for me. They almost all read as if they were written by, or at least given "guidance" by, the same person. A good reminder to look carefully at reviews and do your due diligence for any rental, especially those "off the beaten path".

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
461 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

I would trust TA over VRBO reviews. The Vrbo reviews for a rental near Sunset Beach in Halewai didn't mention that EVERYONE in the neighborhood had a dog and they would ALL bark every night. They didn't mention they had a cat that they let have the run of the rental unit until I had an allergic reation to it that lasted 23 hours. It helps to ask about specific units on TA before you rent. There is usually a quick response from previous renters.

7. Re: VRBO vs. Tripadvisor Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 15, 2015