We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer Big Island Trip Report

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer Big Island Trip Report

Our family of 3 including our 7 year old son, spent 8 nights on the Big Island another 8 nights on Oahu at the end of February and the beginning of March. We decided on the Big Island for the snorkelling and Volcano National Park. I spent many hours on the TA forums planning our trip and I would like to thank the DE's and everyone else who posted answers to my questions and provided valuable advice on where to go and what to see.

Day 1

Arrived at Kona airport about 3:00 pm. Picked up our car rental which we reserved through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Great rates and easy to deal with. We headed to Keauhou where we were staying at the Keauhou Kona Surf & Racquet Club. When deciding on where to stay, oceanfront and affordability (around $200/night) were what was important to us. Also, when planning, I thought we may book a Fair Winds Cruise and I wanted to be close to where that excursion departed from. We stayed in Townhome 177 which was awesome. It was a very clean and well maintained unit that had everything we needed. Having an oceanfront lanai was fabulous. We had our morning coffee and breakfast there every day and watched the whales. The unit was also close to the pool which our 7 year old used every day. The whole complex has very nice mature landscaping and was located far enough from the main road to not hear any traffic noise. We didn't need the AC while there because the ocean breeze was enough to keep the unit comfortable. We enjoyed the sound of the waves crashing on the shoreline at night as well. While not a sound we are used to, it didn't take long to get used to. Beds were comfortable and I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a homey place to stay.

After arriving at our rental and checking out the supplies the unit had, we left and went to the Keauhou Shopping Center to pick up supplies. It was only about a 5 minute drive or less so that was very convenient. After getting back with our groceries our son was eager to try out the pool so we headed there for a before bed swim. We saw our first gorgeous Hawaiian sunset and by 8 o'clock we were all exhausted and so that was it for day 1.

Day 2

I saw the clock at 1:30, 3:30 and then decided to get up at about 5:00. I headed downstairs to make my first cup of Kona coffee and read through some guidebooks that the owners had available for us. Both husband and son were a couple of hours longer in bed so I had plenty of time to read, check out all the cupboards and check my e-mail. Once everyone was up, had breakfast and spent some time watching the whales, we headed down Alii Drive into Kailua-Kona to check it out. We walked around town a bit and had lunch at Bubba Gump's on the ocean front patio. The food was ok but the patio view was great. We watched spinner dolphins jumping out in the bay and whales breaching out much further. Weather was perfect and the service was friendly. We did some more shopping and the went to Snorkel Bob's and rented some snorkel gear for the week. We went back to our rental and walked to a small beach nearby. We explored the tide pools and took a few pictures of our first sea turtle that was sunning and resting on the beach. We also spent some time at the pool with a nice family staying next to us. I headed back before my husband and son to make dinner and we enjoyed our first dinner on the lanai. The weather was beautiful again and I really enjoyed that there were no bugs. We watched another Hawaiian sunset and then off to bed by 8:30.

I will post the next 6 days soon. Hopefully those of you that are reading this are enjoying it as I'm not a writer or blogger. Thanks for reading.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou Shopping Center
Keauhou Shopping Center
116 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ali'i Drive
Ali'i Drive
744 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First Timer Big Island Trip Report

I have posted my Oahu trip report for anyone interested.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
22. Re: First Timer Big Island Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 14, 2015