We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Hello all! I am flying from oahu to big island on August. Leaving oahu at 10:40 amand expecting to arrive at Kona at 11:23 am, taking Hawaiian Airline. The thing is I am considering to join stargazing tour to Mauna Kea Summit leaving King's Shop at 2:15pm on the same day. I will be staying Hapuna Prince and I am hoping to find time to go to hotel to drop my staff before heading to King's shop. My concern is if the flight get delay, I will miss the tour. Are they usually on time? I will be in the island only for 3 days that's why I am doing this. Any suggestion will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Hawaiian has the best on-time percentage of all the airlines in the country. So you should not have any problem.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

The interisland flights very rarely get delayed except during the usual snowstorms. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

you forgot the hurricane TT ...

I wouldn't worry about the flight being late, more about how long it takes to get your car and any traffic going north.

You'll pass the Kings Shops going north ... and if you have less than 90 minutes left it might be tight, allow 30 minutes minimum turnaround on the road from there to Prince and back, but also allow some time at the hotel. It's a big place and it takes time to walk from point a to point b there. Also you may not be the only one checking in ...

If you're running late, do go for the valet parking, as using the self-park will add another 20 minutes for sure, maybe more. The parking garage elevators put you into the hotel rather far away from the lobby. It's not really far, but if you're in a hurry it takes time ...

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Hi All! I just want to say thank you guys for your advices. It was very helpful. Can't wait to be there. Thanks again!

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

tt, I know you know that they have snow on the big island so that isn't funny especially coming from where I come from. By the way how long does the snow last??? Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

I thought it was funny ...

frozensnowman, you do know the snow is only on top of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, right? It's a beautiful sight but has yet to freeze out anyone's vacation!

Um, the snow up there lasts as long as it stays cold enough on top of the mountain ... lol.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

We were thinking of opening a ski resort but feasibility study didn't agree.

st paul, mn
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

knew only about Mauna Kea. Thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Atypical, as I am a devoted Hawaiian Air traveler, but....

Yesterday afternoon flight from Hilo to HNL. It was a beautiful morning, perhaps the quiet before the big storm blows in, but by mid-day without the trades it was getting pretty steamy and downright warm.

We interminably waited in the un-air conditioned gate, sweat dipping from every brow, homemade fans in most hands. They load us onto a plane full of stale air, and shut us in....a packed metal tube being baked above the tarmac.

They didn't have any air flowing as they were in a hurry to push back and hadn't bothered to attach the air cart to the plane. Time passed, and passed, persperation was beginning to condense on the interior surfaces, old and out-of-shape folks could be heard gasping for air.

They couldn't get the engines to start. They would try to turn them over and it sounded like my old 1970 Ford Maverick on a cold morning.

After a few more minutes, the gentleman sitting next to me (a well-known Hilo physician), rang for the steward and told her that the problem had to be solved now or the passengers de-planed as some were about to go into heat stroke/dehydration mode.

They finally pulled an air cart over and the plane interior became barely livable (think hot Georgia night), and they extended the jet way to allow repair personnel to board.

My doctor friend bailed. "I don't need to go to Honolulu that badly, and if the engine won't start how do they know it will keep running anyway?"

Hmmmm, very good point from a learned man....

They brought over one, two, than three generator carts trying to get the engines to start ("they should have used a Die Hard" was typical of the morbid jokes), and nothing.

Almost an hour had gone by.

They called out the names of a couple passengers who had tight Honolulu connections to the mainland to get off the plane and go to an Aloha Air flight leaving just then. That was my cue to bail.

The gate agent helping the mainland travelers was a little miffed at my deboarding, but with some cajoling, pleading, flashing of my platinum card, and that I was wearing a brand new official Hawaiian Air shirt they had just sent me, she signed me over to the Aloha flight as well with no hu hu.

They got the engines started just as the Aloha flight closed its doors. It taxied out onto the taxiway and.....died. It was still sitting there, an immobile, stewing hulk as our flight took off.

You just never know...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any problem with Hawaiian Airline?

Ya, the whole Hawaiian ski resort thing is still the wave of the future.

My son went snowboarding on Mauna Kea last winter. He said it was rough getting back up the hill because of low oxygen. He wanted a ski lift, for sure!

Re the amount of snow, Mauna Loa looks more like it's sprinkled with powdered sugar whereas Mauna Kea looks like it has icing on it ... makes for a very nice photo when both are snowtopped.

I've gotten this shot from Hwy 250 coming down into Waimea.

It can also be gotten from Hilo if the visibility is good. Spectacular.